Upgrade for DVR really stinks
virge54

I have been struggling with this 'upgrade' since it happened.  DVR has been rebooted many times.  It seems that the convenience I enjoyed before the upgrade is gone.  I have in my home 2 HDDVR's.  The problems are on both.

Unable to rewind live TV.  Now before the upgrade the DVR had to be on that channel from the beginning of the show.  If you were finished watching something recorded on the DVR and you went back to LIVE TV in the middle of a show you could rewind to the beginning.  Not anymore!

Same thing with recording.  I have hit the record button in the middle of a show and it only records from the moment I hit the button even though I haven't changed channels.  Many times it actually shows the the correct number of minutes, but when you hit play it only starts from the time you hit the button

Skip and fast-forward are wacky.  When using these features MANY times it goes to the end of the show.  When I try to find my place with chaptering it does the same thing.  Six shows I have not seen the end of because I could not find my place.

Recording.  I tried to record a show and the 'record' would not turn on.  It kept telling me that I could not record previous shows.  I hit the OK button and found that according to the DVR I was still on the previous show, even though I was by now 8 minutes into the next show.

I noticed that when these problems happen the TIMER seems to be nuts.  Every time it hits a commercial the timer stars all over again. Halfway through the show it is still resetting itself to 0 and I have an hour of watching left, then it skips to the end and I have NOTHING to watch.

It seems that this 'upgrade' was not thoroughly tested, which I think is a shame and now your customers have to struggle with  the fixes.

I'll repeat, It happens on 2 HDDVR's and 2 different remotes.  I have not yet tested the skip and fast-forward function on the 3 older STBs I Have nor have I tested it on the HDSTB we have.  I am too confused, frustrated, and upset to go any further.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade for DVR really stinks
telebears
Enthusiast - Level 3

same thing has happaned to me. I lose all DVR functionality and have to do a hard reboot every time. Sure these things happen but I've had to do it everyday since the upgrade happened. I'm seriously considering leaving Verizon because of this crap. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

I have not experienced these problems with 1.9a, and really like it.

Justin46
Legend

@PJL wrote:

I have not experienced these problems with 1.9a, and really like it.

I have had the 1.9 level for about two months now, have not experienced any (repeat any) of the problems listed above. What model DVR(s) do you have? How are you re-booting the DVRs? Have you had Verizon reset the DVRs? Is you connection HDMI or component? Via a sound system? If you can provide more detailed configuration info it might help someone identify a problem area.

The new level was very thoroughly tested. Someone posted a number of 100 users, in addition to internal users, I have no idea if that number is accurate, but that should be plenty. Plus before the recent rollout there were many thousands of FiOS customers who received the 1.9 level prior to the rollout a few weeks ago.

1.9 works very well for me.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
telebears
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the tips everyone. I would LOVE if this problem is fixable, as switching providers is a pain.

I've been on call with Verizon tech-support and rebooted each time to their directions (physically unplugg both power cord and coax cable for 3 minutes), plug back in and wait for everything to boot up again. Then it works... for a few hours.

The tech support guy mentioned nothing about reseting the DVRs.

I use HDMI, though I fail to see how that could possibly affect my DVR losing functionality. 

There are no sound systems involved.

My DVR model, as per my account, is (MA1032FG6456) .

Can someone  tell me why I have to reboot every 24 hours now?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@telebears wrote:

The tech support guy mentioned nothing about reseting the DVRs

My DVR model, as per my account, is (MA1032FG6456) .

Can someone  tell me why I have to reboot every 24 hours now?

I was asking for the model number of the DVR, such as Motorola 6416, 7216, or 7232, or Cisco. If, for example, you have a Motorola 6416, you will never be satisfied, it will not do the HD Guide, etc, plus it is very slow with 1.9 running compared to 1.8. If however you have a 7232, it should fly with 1.9 (mine does).

Why you have to reboot every 24 hours? Because something is wrong. It could be a signal strength issue, it could be a failing (or overheating) hard drive, it could be a cabling issue (failing splitter, for example), there are any number of possibilities. Have you run the diagnostics on the DVRs? If so, does everything pass, on each STB?

As to the tech support folks not mentioning resetting the DVRs, they do have a way to send commands to the STBs to cause them to go through a more complete reset than you can do by pulling the power, etc. If you cannot identify your problems using the built-in tools, then you might contact tech support again and ask them to do the full reset.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
telebears
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just curious - are you really not a verizon employee or just a really big Verizon evangelist?

0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

I have had some of the same problems with the upgrade and I have a 7216.  I cannot rewind live tv when I am recording. Have to go to play and start at the beginning and fast forward.  It is a pain.

I also have watched a program from the beginning, but if it is in the last part of the show, and I hit record, it only starts at that point.  I have also been watching a show live and rewound to watch and then hit record, and it jumps to live at that time, and I cannot rewind at all, nor did the recording start at the beginning.  I've given up trying to figure out what the problem is.

0 Likes
virge54

Justin,

I am so happy that the 1.9A is working so well for you.  Since you asked, I have two 7216s but remember this:  I did not experience any problems BEFORE the upgrade.  If this upgrade was so well tested, why am I having any problems with the DVR now?  The only thing that ALL of these people (myself included), have in common is the upgrade.

As a retired Verizon Tech I can tell you that what you are asking makes no sense.  If we need to use our HDMI inputs, why doesn't Verizon say so?  Though for the life of me I can't figure out why that would make a difference.

The bottom line is that before the "upgrade" I was a happy customer of FIOS internet, phone, and TV in which I pay almost $300.00 a month for.  Why am I having all of this hassle?  I just wish someone would give me some answers!!  I am so tired of rebooting the DVR.

I must say that I can now rewind live TV back to the start of the program even if I am recording.  So I am making a little progress.  These problem have to be addressed by Verizon.  It seems like they rolled out a general upgrade and now are fixing the issues with the various boxes. 

0 Likes
mvilleg
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had the same problems listed below and worse, my DVRs stopped working completely.  I have two.  Verizon shipped one to me last week and they're getting ready to ship me another one.  The only problem is that even with the new (more like refurbished) DVRs, they still don't work properly.

0 Likes