Using 2 DVR's with Fios Quantum TV
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Probably a stupid question, but I have the FIOS Quantum TV plan which uses two DVR's to provide recording up to 12 channels.  One is connected to my main TV in the family room the other is connected to a TV in the basement.  Here's what's bugging me:  Most of my TV watching is done from the family room but I wanted to be able to record more than the 6 shows the DVR permitted and so upgraded to the next higher plan.  I would like to be able to schedule recordings to the basement DVR FROM the DVR in the family room.  In other words when selecting a program for recording or a series, I would like to be able to select which DVR to use.  Right now I have to go down to the basement and select the recordings there if I want them on that machine.  Obviously the DVR's can communicate as I can see the recordings on either one.  Is there a way to choose which DVR to record to without physically going to the other DVR?

Sorry for rambling, but hope that makes sense. 

0 Likes
Re: Using 2 DVR's with Fios Quantum TV
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Haven't tried it myself, but I have heard that if you use the FIOS app to schedule, you can choose.

0 Likes
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, I tried that.  It lets me pick which DVR I want to control, with the remote, but regardless of what I pick, when I select a program to record it sends it to the Family Room DVR.  

The main problem for me is that I am running out of space on the main DVR, and wanted to be able to send recordings to the other one.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Instead of using the remote option, try doing it via the TV Listings.

If you pick a program and choose record, can you pick the DVR from there?

0 Likes
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, I was using the tv listings - but there is no option that I can see to select which DVR to record to.  It appears to default to the "primary" DVR.  There may be technical reasons why this can't be done, but it is truly a disappointment, as it's not very convenient to have to physically relocate in order to use the recording capabilities of the 2nd DVR.  This is something that should be disclosed by Verizon when advertising the upgrade to the 12 show quantum option.

0 Likes
ranjay5161
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree that so ar the recording method for 2-dvr/12-tuner setup is disappointing. I had a 2-tuner fios dvr with esata storage plus a TIvo HD with esata, total 2.5TB between them. Made a long decision to dump Tivo and change to Quantum for the extra tuners, and only did the 2 dvr to still have 2TB. Figured also would be easier recording since would be from one screen on one dvr, now finding I have to go to another room totally! Nice to have the menu that sees all the shows, although not a combined listing, but hopefully they integrate the 2 dvr's better soon! Like Fios a lot and often praise it, but think they should listen closer to their paying customers. Other thing they need to do is provide better support for the 12 tuner setup, since the installation I did was based more on user comments then anything Fios provided.

fossil1
Contributor - Level 1

dbrennan6,

You might already be aware that while you "can't get tehre from here" on your Famiily Room DVR, you can swap DVRs for recording from any of the FiOS Quantum Media Clients.  You woul need to disconnect the Media Client from your Family Room DVR and then connect it to the Baaement DVR.  Once that's done, you should be able to schedule recordings from that Media Client onto the Basement DVR.

0 Likes
ranjay5161
Enthusiast - Level 2

After my previous post, I did find a way to easily program both DVR's from one location. Just went to "Manage My DVRs" on Verizon website. From TV listings, I was able to go to click on a program, then get a screen which let me choose which DVR (VMS)  to record on and whether I record one program or series. Found this to be a pretty good and easy solution for the 12 tuner setup.

barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

The latest version of the FIOS app does let me choose a DVR to record to, but I'm still disappointed that I cannot do this thorugh the DVR menu on the main setop box.  I can view, delete, etc, but can't record.  I don't mind the app, but this seems like a capability that should have been built in.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Quantum, each IPC connects to a particular VMS.

So your control for recording is via that VMS.

There may be something that comes along down the raod that allows IPCs to be more integrated with both VMSs.

0 Likes