Verizon Motorola 2500 Top Box --RF INterference
CYBER2

I have several Motorola 2500 Series Verizon Top Boxes. Problem is they seem to be interferred by RF from Police and Emergency radios. Also, I have a FEMA Emergency Radio which seems to black out TV when I key the transmitter.  I am running the Motorola Wireless router from Vios. I was told that this router communicates with RF to the Top Boxes and this may be my problem. The RF from the other radios is blocking the RF from the ROUTER.

I have to turn off the TOP BOX and TV to get it reset.
IS there anything I can do which will elimninate or minimize this RF interference on the Motorola 2500 Top Box??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Motorola 2500 Top Box --RF INterference
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Verizon uses either a Westell or Actiontec router - no routers from Moto (AFAIK).  Also, the STB coummunicates to the router over the coax via MoCA (Multimedia over coax).  While this is RF @ > 1 GHz (on the coax) it is not broadcast. 

The most likely culprits are either poor connectors or or older RG-59 coax.  What is probably happening is that you are somehow  getting RF ingress on the braid of the coax.  Make sure all coax connectors are compression type and not the old hex crimp.  If possible all coax runs should be RG-6 quad shield.  The other quetion is the shielding on any splitters in the system.

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Verizon uses either a Westell or Actiontec router - no routers from Moto (AFAIK).  Also, the STB coummunicates to the router over the coax via MoCA (Multimedia over coax).  While this is RF @ > 1 GHz (on the coax) it is not broadcast. 

The most likely culprits are either poor connectors or or older RG-59 coax.  What is probably happening is that you are somehow  getting RF ingress on the braid of the coax.  Make sure all coax connectors are compression type and not the old hex crimp.  If possible all coax runs should be RG-6 quad shield.  The other quetion is the shielding on any splitters in the system.

CYBER2

Roger That. Yes the router is not Motorola. My BAD.   Your technical information on how the Top Box gets the input on the Coax vice RF was right on. I was told by the Verizon Tech who installed this installation said that the Top Box used the RF from the router and I could not turn off the Wireless service from the Router. I will start installing RF suppressors cores on the COAX leads to see if this helps. Previously I had these RF Suppressors on the coax. The Tech removed them when he run new coax.

Again Thanks .

Bill

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Also, you can turn off the wireless in the router.  From a web browser og to 192.168.1.1 and log into the router (this is for the Actiontec, don't know if the Westell is the same).  You will need to know the username and password. If you don't you can do a full reset by holding the reset button on the back for 15 seconds and then set it to something you know on the next log in - you will need a paper clip or other thin rigid item as it is recessed.  Once logged in click MY WIRELESS SETTINGS at the top of the page.  That will take you to a page where you can change the wireless settings to off or make whatever changes you want to the security method, password, MAC filtering, etc.. After making whatever changes you want be sure to click apply at the bottom of the page. 

0 Likes
CYBER2

Thanks. I have the wireless disabled. Due to a major power outage (Two days)  in our neighborhood, my router now has lost the TOP BOX identifications in the MY NETWORK . Everything seems to be working OK on the TV's. However the only connections the router list in the MY NETWORK  GUI is the PC devices connected to the Ethernet ports.  Router was reset to factory settings gut still after it rebooted, it does not see the TOP BOXES.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Cycle the power on the set top boxes. Now that the router has power. They will go out to get an IP and be added back to the list.

0 Likes
CYBER2

Thanks for reply.  Every running OK now. Still working on the RF issue. No reply from Verizon Tech support on their TOP BOXES getting interference from RF Signals.

Thanks AlI.  ITEM CLOSED NOW.  Robot Happy

0 Likes