Video settings reset to 480p every time DVR+receiver+TV are turned off
Thesurfer26
Hi, I hope there's someone there who can tell me what the problem could be here and how to solve it. I have my Fios HD-DVR connected to a Yamaha HTR-3064 receiver and to an LG LED-TV; 47LW5700 to be precise, al with HDMI cables. My problem is that everytime I turn off the components, the video settings of the cable box reset to 480p and doesn't keep the 1080i. Both, the tv and the receiver support up to 1080p signals, and when everything is on and I manually go into the video settings of the Verizon DVR and change it to display 1080i does it with no problem, is just when I turn everything off and next time that I turn it on, goes back to 480p.

Anybody experiencing the same thing?

I've found other posts talking about a handshake problem with HDMI, I don't know if there's a particular order in which the components needs to be turned on/off???

Help please, it's annoying having to go to settings everytime I want to watch cable tv.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Video settings reset to 480p every time DVR+receiver+TV are turned off
PJL
Master - Level 3

This problems has indeed been discussed elsewhere on this forum and others.  What's probably happening is that the TV is turning off before your Yamaha receiver, so the STB renegotiates the resolution via HDMI handshake with the receiver.  Or the receiver is turned on before the TV and the STB negotiates with the receiver and not the TV.  Although the receiver supports switching higher resolutions and may actually up-convert sources to higher resolutions, it's own internal resolution for the on-screen menus is 480i.  (This is the same as many other receivers, including my Denon.)  The solution for me is to ensure that the STB is off first, the receiver second, and the TV third so that the STB's last negotiation is with the TV through the receiver.  For turning on the TV should be on first, the receiver second, and then the STB last.  This way the HDMI negotiation is to and from the STB and TV through the receiver.  This works for me every time.  If the sequence is not as stated, the STB reverts to 480i in the SD override.  The on sequence is critical and I've set our 4-button FiOS remote to turn the TV on first, the receiver second, and the STB third.  The off sequence doesn't seem to be as critical since the STB is off before any re-handshake occurs.

View solution in original post

PJL
Master - Level 3

This problems has indeed been discussed elsewhere on this forum and others.  What's probably happening is that the TV is turning off before your Yamaha receiver, so the STB renegotiates the resolution via HDMI handshake with the receiver.  Or the receiver is turned on before the TV and the STB negotiates with the receiver and not the TV.  Although the receiver supports switching higher resolutions and may actually up-convert sources to higher resolutions, it's own internal resolution for the on-screen menus is 480i.  (This is the same as many other receivers, including my Denon.)  The solution for me is to ensure that the STB is off first, the receiver second, and the TV third so that the STB's last negotiation is with the TV through the receiver.  For turning on the TV should be on first, the receiver second, and then the STB last.  This way the HDMI negotiation is to and from the STB and TV through the receiver.  This works for me every time.  If the sequence is not as stated, the STB reverts to 480i in the SD override.  The on sequence is critical and I've set our 4-button FiOS remote to turn the TV on first, the receiver second, and the STB third.  The off sequence doesn't seem to be as critical since the STB is off before any re-handshake occurs.

Thesurfer26
Perfect, thanks a lot, I'll try that tonight and see if that is it, makes sense what you are sayings and seems like you and maybe a lot more people had the same issue
0 Likes
Thesurfer26
That was it, I tested it and that solved the problem, thanks a lot for responding
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Thesurfer26 wrote:
That was it, I tested it and that solved the problem, thanks a lot for responding

Glad this was the solution.  I'm saving my write-up so I don't have to think the next time this comes up, and it will I'm sure.

0 Likes