What are the optimal signal strength / quality readings for a QIP7216 HD DVR?
dlyons2

What are the “optimal” signal strength and quality settings for a QIP7216 HD DVR? Overall, I’m pleased with the picture, but is it the best it can be (hooked up to a 50” plasma)? All my diagnostic settings read “good” but I’ve been a bit surprised at how often I see compression artifacts (or dancing pixels) in football, basketball etc… I always wonder, is something going on with my equipment or is it the source signal itself? I just want some confirmation either way from people much more knowledgeable than me on this subject. I understand motion takes more bandwidth so some of it may be unavoidable from non-DVD or Blu-Ray sources. If it helps, firmware is 1.7.1 and I’m located in Montgomery County, MD.

After reading various entries on this forum, I’ve tried eliminating typical problems.  First, I made sure the coax to the STB and the HDMI to the TV are clear of power cords. Second, I also tested running a 50’ cable from the box directly to the DVR to ensure splitters aren’t causing problems. Readings improved slightly but didn’t make a real difference.

Using my normal connections, my OOB SNR ranges from 23-24. ACR range is typically 16. In band status SNR across various channels typically ranges between 36 – 37.3.

Using a direct cable to the DVR (bypassing one splitter), the OOB SNR was 24 with ACR of 12-13. The peak inband status SNR would then go up to 37.7.

Are these values about as good as it gets for this model of DVR? Our 2 SD QIP2500 STBs typically have OOB SNR of 38-39 even though they run through a couple of splitters with old cable. Does that mean something or nothing at all? Does the HD STB simply measure signal differently than the SD STBs or could something be amiss with the DVR? If there are any improvements I can make, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Re: What are the optimal signal strength / quality readings for a QIP7216 HD DVR?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The 7216 seems to max out (for the OOB) at 24.  If you are looking for more detailed information on a specific channel there are hidden diagnostic screens that will also list correctable / non-correctable error counts (you can't actually see the show at the same time).  This is accessed by the following front panel button sequence;

POWER => SELECT => SELECT

Off the top of my head I don't recall which of the diagnostic screens gives you this information.

A lot of the issue you are referring to I believe are in the source as I have tried switching to OTA (for local football) and still observe the artifacts.

0 Likes
Re: What are the optimal signal strength / quality readings for a QIP7216 HD DVR?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the STB also has a network diagnostic that will check your video signal

go to menu > customer support > in home agent > network diagnostic = ok to start.

after it's finished you will get a general message, but if you want technical details you have to hit the info button.

you'll be provided with the following.

Video Signal is OK (snr value:36)      (36 is optimal, it will give you a clean picture with as low as 32)

Video signal is OK (snr level is: GOOD)  

local network is Ok ( IP xxx.xxx.xx.x)   <~~not important for broadcast, but important for VOD

External network is OK (IP xx.xxx.xxx.xxx)<~~not important for broadcast, but important for VOD

Don't worry about your OOB   that is not used for broadcast signal,  your inband is what causes pixelization dropped sound from the source etc... 

0 Likes