Which ONT and what prepwork?
rwatson581

This is a newbie question and I know nothing about FIOS.

I have a small condo with very limited space and no option to have the ONT outside my living space. So I figured, I will do all the prep work that I can do on my end (power outlet, wiring prep, etc.) before I order FIOS.

I  am getting a little bit confused because surfing the net, I have seen pictures of different ONT's and I don't really know what I will get in NY area. So first question is what ONT is prevalent in NY area (model, etc. so I can look up pictures, dimensions, etc.).

Another confusion is the wiring. Some ONT shows coaxial connection to the data modem some shows Ethernet Cat 5 or 6 cable. For now I have coax wired to all my TV's and I left one coax ready for the ONT connection.

Next question, if it is coax, can I put the router anywhere there is a TV coax connector (by just using a video splitter) or do I need a dedicated coax homerun to the ONT?  (the Cat 5 is understood to homerun to the ONT).

Dimension is obviously my biggest need since I probably will have to put the ONT inside a closet.

Anything else I can do on my end to make the install go smoothly?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Which ONT and what prepwork?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@rwatson58 wrote:

I have a small condo with very limited space and no option to have the ONT outside my living space. So I figured, I will do all the prep work that I can do on my end (power outlet, wiring prep, etc.) before I order FIOS.

I  am getting a little bit confused because surfing the net, I have seen pictures of different ONT's and I don't really know what I will get in NY area. So first question is what ONT is prevalent in NY area (model, etc. So I can look up pictures, dimensions, etc.).

Another confusion is the wiring. Some ONT shows coaxial connection to the data modem some shows Ethernet Cat 5 or 6 cable. For now I have coax wired to all my TV's and I left one coax ready for the ONT connection.

Next question, if it is coax, can I put the router anywhere there is a TV coax connector (by just using a video splitter) or do I need a dedicated coax homerun to the ONT?  (the Cat 5 is understood to homerun to the ONT).

Dimension is obviously my biggest need since I probably will have to put the ONT inside a closet.

For the most part the ONT 612 is the most prevalent and is likely the one you will get. Everything (other than phone) can be installed using coax. The router can be located anywhere coax is run. It is best to have it located next to the computer but can be installed anywhere there is coax.

A personal preference on my part is to use Cat 6 (Ethernet) for the internet connection when-ever possible as it makes it easier to use my own equipment rather than be locked into Verizon's or other specialty equipment. But then that's my own personal opinion. Coax is all that is needed for the connection. 

On a side note, if you are running your own coax, make sure that it is RG6 coax, not RG59. Not that it is likely you will get 59 but just to make sure. And if you have any splitters in the system, make sure that they are High bandwidth (1000Mhz or larger) and bi-directional. And since you are in NY, be aware that the ONT will need to be located near the residence ground (usually near the electrical panel of the home) and requires a grounded electrical outlet (3-prong outlet).  You may want to flag down a Verizon tech and ask them about this. NY has the strictest laws about this in the country so there is very little lee-way about where the ONT must be mounted.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@rwatson58 wrote:

The router will need a coax connection at a miniumum.  It can server as both the LAN and the WAN (replacing CAT-5) .

Ideally it should have a home run to the ONT, but it generally can be placed anywhere there is a coaxial connection by using a splitter which Verizon will provide.  The installer should check the signal levels and if necessary run a line from the router to the ONT.

More detailed Ethernet information can be found using search on this forum or going to DSLReports.com and looking at their FiOS networking FAQ.

There are options for the router being either CAT-5 or coax for the WAN.  The LAN (for the TV boxes) MUST be over coax which is why I originally indicated you must have a coax connection to the router at a minimum.  FiOS uses what is known as MoCA (multi-media over coax) standard to provide the guide, VOD, and any other IP based services to the TV.

Not from your area and I don't have any experience with what equipment would be used in your type of installation - I will leave those answers to someone more qualified.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@rwatson58 wrote:

I  am getting a little bit confused because surfing the net, I have seen pictures of different ONT's and I don't really know what I will get in NY area. So first question is what ONT is prevalent in NY area (model, etc. So I can look up pictures, dimensions, etc.).

For the most part the ONT 612 is the most prevalent and is likely the one you will get. Everything (other than phone) can be installed using coax. The router can be located anywhere coax is run. It is best to have it located next to the computer but can be installed anywhere there is coax.

A personal preference on my part is to use Cat 6 (Ethernet) for the internet connection when-ever possible as it makes it easier to use my own equipment rather than be locked into Verizon's or other specialty equipment. But then that's my own personal opinion. Coax is all that is needed for the connection. 

On a side note, if you are running your own coax, make sure that it is RG6 coax, not RG59. Not that it is likely you will get 59 but just to make sure. And if you have any splitters in the system, make sure that they are High bandwidth (1000Mhz or larger) and bi-directional. And since you are in NY, be aware that the ONT will need to be located near the residence ground (usually near the electrical panel of the home) and requires a grounded electrical outlet (3-prong outlet).  You may want to flag down a Verizon tech and ask them about this. NY has the strictest laws about this in the country so there is very little lee-way about where the ONT must be mounted.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

One thing to note however is if you are in a multi-unit condo / building, Verizon may deliver FiOS to the building and then using an in-build system to distribute the signal to all tenents (called vDSL).  Do you know any neighbors who might have FiOS already in your condo location?   That might give you a good idea of exactly which setup Verizon might choose to use.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

My mother in law lived in a senior complex where Fios was installed.  They terminated a connection in a closet without the need for an ONT in the apartment.  This follows was lasagna is saying!!!!

0 Likes
rwatson581

Thank you so much to all! Very useful information for me to begin the prep work.. Thanks again.

0 Likes