Why can't Cisco DVR record 2 shows and playback 1 at the sametime?
Smokeater55

Recorded show are being played back and I'll see the pop up message that tells me both tuners are needed to record two events. Well if I was watching live TV, I'd understand action would be needed. I would have to stop watching live TV or tell the DVR to cancel recording one or the other pre-scheduled event.

But, what the heck when viewing pre-recorded content? The tuner should do whatever it wants to do rather than DUMP me out of playback and send me into one of the live recording events. I then have to go start playback of the show to see the rest of the story.

James from Tech Support just told me today this was a "hardware limitation"? Say what? When I try to reproduce the problem, I can't make it happen. But it does happen at least one a day since I've got the Cisco box.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Why can't Cisco DVR record 2 shows and playback 1 at the sametime?
davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you know what station the recorded show will be taping on, try setting one of the tuners to that before watching a DVR show. Maybe that is when its not kicking you out

0 Likes
Re: Why can't Cisco DVR record 2 shows and playback 1 at the sametime?
Smokeater55

Thanks for the input!

Ok, look at the schedule of what is gong to happen and preset a tuner so it does not have to change channel.  Maybe that will work but not a GREAT answer for easy DVR use if I've got to monitor and baby sit the tuner before I watch my shows.  I'm just thinking about the good old days pre 1.9 when this all just worked.  Oh, well I'll give anything a try but below is info on the three events I've taken the time to record the facts about since I noticed the problem.

Hope this detail helps:

1/19/2012 normal warning window pops up telling me of a DVR recording event that will involve both tuners ask me if I want to cancel one of the recordings or go with both of them.  As I'm watching a playback of a recording, I don't think it should matter what the heck the STB does with the allocation of the two tuners.  HOWEVER, when I don't take action, the recording STOPS and video changes to one of the live tuners. 

Earlier on a like event I chose to record both events and was still hoping to continue looking a playback of pre-recorded content, again it did the same and dumped out of the recording and went to the live tuner.  I don't recall this action with the Motorola.  I thought you could record two shows and look at playback of a third show.  But this is another time that interrupts playback of DVR content and makes you search for the point where the STB has stopped the show so you can resume playback again.

Just to test this, on 1/20/2012 I set up a case where I will have two recordings at 9 AM and start playback of a show at 8:45 AM to see if it will happen again.  At 9 AM, recording starts without any problem, no warning on-screen.  Oh well, so I did not duplicate the problem this morning but, it happen two times before on 1/19/2012.

1/21/2012 8:00 PM I'm watching "The Guardian" pre-recorded on channel 51 TNT 1/21/2012 at 2:03:59 PM all is good then the warning message pops up that the DVR wants to record NCIS "Witch Hunt" channel 50 USA at 8:00 PM AND NCIS: Los Angeles "Enemy Within" channel 9 CBS at 8:00 PM.  I don't do anything and PLAYBACK Should have continued from the DVR BUT, playback was halted and I was dumped out to live TV (NCIS channel 50)  Now, I've got to go back and find my place in the Guardian again to see the end of that show, lucky I can just hit resume.

1/22/2012 2:00 PM I'm watching "16 Blocks" pre-recorded on 50 USA recorded on 1/23/2012 at 2:02 AM at 2 PM the DVR tuning warning message pops up that the DVR is programmed to record Gray's Anatomy "Song Beneath the Song" 140 Lifetime 1/22/2012 2:00 PM AND Leverage "The Order 23 Job" 51 TNT 1/22/2012 2:00 PM.  I don't take any action to stop recording one event or the other and the "16 Blocks" DVR playback is stopped and I'm dumped into live TV of Gray's Anatomy as it records a show I don't want to view right now.....so I go back to the other show to see the end of what I was watching.

0 Likes