compression artifacts on TNT?
watchingtv

I am watching a DVR recording of at TNT presentation of the Bourne Ultimatum.  There are a lot of artifacts in the image that I assume are coming from agressive compression or perhaps the original TNT broadcast.  Has anyone else seen similar problems? Are they isolated to TNT? In fact the quality overall seems much better than the TNT programming.   The commercials on the DVR playback don't have the same problems so it isn't the DVR or anything in my systems.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: compression artifacts on TNT?
PJL
Master - Level 3

@watchingtv wrote:

I am watching a DVR recording of at TNT presentation of the Bourne Ultimatum.  There are a lot of artifacts in the image that I assume are coming from agressive compression or perhaps the original TNT broadcast.  Has anyone else seen similar problems? Are they isolated to TNT? In fact the quality overall seems much better than the TNT programming.   The commercials on the DVR playback don't have the same problems so it isn't the DVR or anything in my systems.

Artifacts like this are coming directly from the provider.  They are not isolated to TNT but do vary in severity from channel to channel.  Some providers use poor transcoding to create the digital version of the source material, or compress it before sending the stream to Verizon to use less bandwidth (e.g. AMC HD).  Verizon does nothing to the signal stream that would cause this to happen.

0 Likes