connect TV to router
oldoldguy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

My router is connected by a cable from  outside the house  . There is no TV cable connection in the room. Can I connect a TV to the router or use a splitter instead of running a cable to this room ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: connect TV to router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If I understand your question correctly, yes...you can use a splitter to provide a coax (cable) connection to your TV.

However, assuming you're subscribed to FiOS TV, if you want to get all the channels and features (like the program guide) available to you you'll need to have a set top box between the splitter and your TV.   

One output of the splitter to your router; the other to a set top box (that you'd get from Verizon); the output of the set top box to your TV.

View solution in original post

dwarak
Enthusiast - Level 1

From the specs of your TV, it does not have any networking capability, so you can't connect it to the router http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/LN52C530F1FXZA-feat...As far as which router, Netgear is a good one, if you get a RangeMax model, those have good antennas, or used to at least. The WiFi signal should reach across one floor, but is a bit of a moot point as the TV is a non-network one.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If I understand your question correctly, yes...you can use a splitter to provide a coax (cable) connection to your TV.

However, assuming you're subscribed to FiOS TV, if you want to get all the channels and features (like the program guide) available to you you'll need to have a set top box between the splitter and your TV.   

One output of the splitter to your router; the other to a set top box (that you'd get from Verizon); the output of the set top box to your TV.

oldoldguy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a coax coming in from the Fios box mounted on the house to the router. Wasn't sure if I could use a splitter at that point to connect to an stb and the router. Thanks for the answer ,I appreciate it.

OOG

0 Likes