Enthusiast - Level 2

Setup is:
FIOS STB, Motorola QIP7100-P1
Samsung HW-C500 HDMI capable amp
Gefen HDMI IR Cat-5 extender
Samsung UN55C6500 HDTV

When I connect QIP7100, HW-C500, HDTV - everything works
When I connect QIP7100, Gefen, HDTV - everything works
When I connect Bluray, HW-C500, Gefen, HDTV - everything works.

When I connect QIP7100, HW-C500, Gefen, HDTV. It fails and puts up a screen on the TV saying that the HDCP repeater function has been compromised.

How do I debug and fix this?

------------------------------------------------------

Gefen has replied to this and blames the QIP7100.

"Your are exceeding the HDCP Handshake limitations with the Motorola Cable box. You will either need to remove the Samsung Amp and just use the extenders or use the component output from the Motorola to connect to the Samsung amp so the signal may pass when using the the extenders in the chain."

---------------------------------------------------------

The HDMI spec requires that HDMI sources support upto seven chained repeaters. This is only two. The QIP7100 appears to be out of spec. Is this issue fixed in the QIP7100-P2?

--------------------------------------

How am I supposed to build a home theather when the equipment is in a separate room if I can't use both an amp that does HDMI switching and the extender to do the CAT5 run to the projector?

0 Likes
Re: hdcp repeater function compromised
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I dont know if there is a fix for that.

Previous posts about similar issues seems to indicate that the 7100 HDMI software seems to be limited to 2 devices. Anything more than 2 seems to fail out.

IE>  STB-->receiver (#1)-->TV (#2) works fine

But

STB-->receiver (#1)-->3d converter (#2)-->TV (#3). it fails. Any combination of the same equipment work as long as it is only two addition devices So STB, converter, tv works, or stb, receiver, tv works, but not when all 4 are involved.

Seems to be a limitation of the STB software

0 Likes
jonsmirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

What do you do if you have a TV with only a DVI input? I had one that I just got rid of. Is there some way to turn DHCP off in the STB? I tried going into the STB setup menu and toggling the mode from HDMI to DVI and back but it appears that HDCP is turned on in both modes. Turning off HDCP should fix this problem.

Why can't a fancy STB get HDMI repeaters right? The HDMI spec requires support for up to seven chained repeaters. My $69 DVD player works right in this configuration but my $20/mth DVR won't.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it is a limitation of the software, and i heard it was supposed to be corrected in the 1.9 software release.  its tangentially related to 3d tv where you need 3d tv adapters for a lot of the 3d tv "ready" tv's out there.   so when they do 3d tv with 1.9 they will be fixing that

0 Likes
Gus_Gutz
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

it is a limitation of the software, and i heard it was supposed to be corrected in the 1.9 software release.  its tangentially related to 3d tv where you need 3d tv adapters for a lot of the 3d tv "ready" tv's out there.   so when they do 3d tv with 1.9 they will be fixing that

Wow sounds like everything is going to be fixed in v1.9. I bet in 2.0 we get world peace

0 Likes
jonsmirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do you think they will fix it to the seven as the HDMI/HDCP spec requires, or just up it from one to two? If I go 3D there would be three repeaters in the chain - receiver, 3d converter, HDMI/Cat5 converter.

I just returned my amp and I've ordered another one with component to HDMI conversion capbility. That will let me get things working by taking my clean digital FIOS signal, convert it to analog (component out) and then convert it back to digital (receiver component to HDMI function). Remind me why I want the superior signal of fiber if the STB can't hack it.

Let's cheer for AllVid. STBs and wall hung flat panels don't mix. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it should do the 7 chain no problem, from what I remember it was supposed to do 8 but I might be mixing that number up in my jumbled brain somewhere. 

*edit,  

it was 8,  we briefly talked about it in a similiar thread a while ago

If you wanted a quick fix and not to be limited by the Verizon cable box, then you should probably look into getting a TIVO or a MOXI DVR.     They have bigger harddrives, and are more cutting edge than the verizon boxes,  the verizon boxes after their update will be a lot more competitive with the tivo/moxi.  but right now those are superior units, and they are available today vs some undisclosed time frame.

0 Likes