installation question
JBoogie1200

I'm sorry if this has been asked, I searched around and couldn't find this question, so again, I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

I'm switching from Cox to Fios and they are set to come by the house this week. Currently, in my hallway closet there is this big box (a verizon box) that has a bunch of cables labled with the corresponding room (i.e. maser br, family room, etc..) This is currently where my Cox cable and internet are being run to...The box has this switchboard thing, so there is a cable going into where my master, living, and basement plugs  are, which allows me to watch tv in those rooms (with a set box). I also have my internet going into a router there to offer wireless to my house and internet to my actual wall plugs in other parts of the house.

On this box, there are a bunch of tags warning anyone installing satellite or cable that there is no need to run anymore wires through the house, as everything can be done through this network hub. My question is, can verizon just plug their stuff in through that? I already have the box outside with fios cables. Or will they have to drill a hole in my house?

Sorry if this isn't clear, I have pictures of what I'm talking about, but don't seem to be able to paste them here.

0 Likes
Re: installation question
andy9798
Enthusiast - Level 3

When you say "I already have the box outside with fios cables" it sounds like your house had fios service in the past. If so then all that is needed is to reconnect the wires from the fios box (ONT) to your existing house wiring.

0 Likes
Re: installation question
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

There needs to be a piece of coax running from the FiOS box outside of the house to the "switchboard" in your closet.  It might be easiest if you go outside and look to see if such a cable is present.  Optionally, does your current Cox cable enter the house near the same location?  If so, is there a splice junction there (such that you can disconnect the house "cable" feed from the Cox feed that comes up thru the ground (or down from the pole)?   If so, the Verizon tech can simply disconnect the Cox feed at that location and connect the coax feeding the house to the FiOS box.

0 Likes