installed new 3 way splitter - working but a quick question
Frodiggs
Enthusiast - Level 2

antronix 3 way

5-1002 mhz but the outs are -7db (2) and a -3.5db (1)

On Demand, HD, widgets &recording seems ok and the 3 sets seems to be ok overall but was wondering about the different outs on this splitter.

0 Likes
Re: installed new 3 way splitter - working but a quick question
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

There are 2 different versions of 3-way splitters.  One has all equally attenuated outputs and the other has one port higher than the other 2.

What happens in the latter (the one which you purchased) is that the construction is in essence a 2-way splitter with one output to the world (the -3.5 dB port) and the other output to an input on a second 2-way splitter with its outputs brought out ot the world (the -7 dB ports).  That is why 1 output has less attenuation than the other 2 (which are the same).

Frodiggs
Enthusiast - Level 2

ok. I undersatnd somewhat as I read somewhere there is technically no such device as a 3 way. I picked up a few 4 ways as well and was going to terminate one but tried this first.

Again all seems fine but wanted the best signal strength for the new LCD coming.

Would you suggest i get another splitter or rather use the S02-04-KG 4 way? (5-2400mhz) BTW i grounded the splitter with copper wire to a copper pipe that i think goes to the ground.

TIA

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

My response is - IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON"T FIX IT Smiley Very Happy

If all is working fine, leave well enough alone.

As for grounding the splitter, shouldn't be necessary as the ONT (if installed properly) is grounded and there really should only be a single point "earth" ground in the system which is provided by the ONT through the coax cable braid.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

To understand what's going on, you need to understand how the internal wiring of a splitter typically looks.  Each "split" costs approximately 3.5db.   The signal attenuation numbers are reported relative to the initial source and not relative to one another (which is why, for instance, in some scenarios a STB will work fine seeing the TV signal, but not be able to see the router to get it's guide data -- depending on how many splits are between it and the router.

Typical 2-way splitter:

+----  -3.5db

-----|

+----  -3.5db

Typical 3-way splitter:

+-----  -3.5fb

|    

-----|

|     +-----  -7.0db

+-----|

-3.5    +-----  -7.0db

Typical 4-way splitter:

-3.5db  +-----  -7.0db

+-----|

|     +-----  -7.0db

-----|

|     +-----  -7.0db

+-----|

-3.5db  +-----  -7.0db

When the diagrams above in hand, you can see that adding an additional 2-way splitter to the -3.5db output of a 3-way splitter will essentially give you the same functionality.   Adding the 2-way to one of the -7.0db outputs however would not be equivalent.

The most important part is to insure that you do not leave any outputs unconnected.   Doing so allows interference to enter the system and this can cause lots of issues.   Either use splitters with exactly the needed number of outputs or purchase some inexpensive terminators to cap the unused outputs.

As a previous poster also said, only one earth ground should be created.   Since the coax should already be connected to ground at the ONT (you should be able to quickly verify this), you should not connect the splitters inside the home also to ground as these slight variations in grounding differential could great unintended current flow between devices of slightly different ground potential.  (Technically in this case since it's just grounding the shielding to bleed off any radio interference, it shouldn't matter, but it is wholly unnecessary).

Frodiggs
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you both. I'd not had a minute to properly read up and Lasagna, bella! Le immagini di grande aiuto! Diagram was a big help.

I did read about uncapped outputs and bought terminators and read about the proper capping. All in all mind the signal loss.

Re the ground i actually noticed there was a splitter grounded further along in the basement. They seem to have run some lines across the basement  near my router then circled back across the basement and split a line to get to my two tv's above each other. This is where I swapped out the 2 for the 3.

I'll have to check the ONT grounding, that's the box inside right?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT is the box where the fiber arrives at your house and to which the Coax and Phone Line terminate.   It's sometimes inside your house and sometimes mounted outside.   ONT stands for Optical Network Terminal

0 Likes
dbjprof
Is there a 3 way splitter that has only a 3.5db drop to all 3 out terminals? If so, where can one be purchased?
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Doubtful.
See previous posts that shows how 2 way, 3 way and 4 way splitters operate internally.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes