need only cablecard, but forced to rent STB too?
deltatango
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have Fios phone service and internet. Today I purchased a new Tivo HD DVR and called to add FIOS TV. I was told that I could not order just a cablecard - that I had to order at least one set top box as well. I have no use for an extra STB. Is there really some valid technical reason I need this STB or is it just an arbitrary policy?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: need only cablecard, but forced to rent STB too?
VZ_Frank
Contributor - Level 2

You do not need a stb to get Fios TV service from verizon. You have recieved some misinformation.  All you need is one mcard which is a duel tuner that will work in your tivo.  Unfortunately the biz office is closed now but if you want to send me a private massage tomorrow between 1-9 pm i will be happy to clear this up for you 

View solution in original post

VZ_Frank
Contributor - Level 2

You do not need a stb to get Fios TV service from verizon. You have recieved some misinformation.  All you need is one mcard which is a duel tuner that will work in your tivo.  Unfortunately the biz office is closed now but if you want to send me a private massage tomorrow between 1-9 pm i will be happy to clear this up for you 

prisaz
Legend

@deltatango wrote:

I currently have Fios phone service and internet. Today I purchased a new Tivo HD DVR and called to add FIOS TV. I was told that I could not order just a cablecard - that I had to order at least one set top box as well. I have no use for an extra STB. Is there really some valid technical reason I need this STB or is it just an arbitrary policy?

I do not know that it is true. It may be that the system will not allow an order to be entered without a selection of a STB. Have the Installation done with an order placed for a SD box or a Non DVR HD-STB, along with a cablecard. After everything thing is working tell them you decided you do not need the STB and have it removed from your account. I have never heard of this rule, but then again the ordering system may be the cause. If you are near a FIOS store you can take it back and get a receipt rather then taking it to a UPS store to ship it back. If you take it to the UPS store you would need to have Verizon send you a RMA form.

Perhaps one of the very helpful Verizon employees here can answer this one.

See VZFrank beat me to the punch and answered your question.

0 Likes
DVR deletes shows and movies on its own
frustrated147

Too many times I have gone to watch a show only to find it had deleted.  I have read the one sentence answers to this question and none of them apply to me.  Why is the DVR deleting programs it recorded?  Can someone give me a DETAILED answer to this question and a DETAILED solution?  Thanks

0 Likes