remote DVR on non-verizon router
Not applicable

I got mine to work!!!  Just wanted to share my success story 🙂

We have verizon fios.  We wanted to use our cisco router for vpn since this was not available on the verizon-provided fios router.  

1.  our own router was connected to the ONT (optical network terminal).  This provided DHCP service

2.  the verizon router (Actiontec) was behind our Cisco router, in bridge mode.  We connected the COAX cable to the verizon router.  We did a patch cable between the Cisco router and the verizon router in bridge mode (note, no x-over cable necessary)

We were able to access the internet from our TV but unable to use remove DVR.

3.  We did port forwarding.  UDP 63145 and pointed toward the IP address of the main DVR.  We unplugged the power cord (turning off was not enough) and voila!!!  We now have remote DVR functioning just fine.

Re: remote DVR on non-verizon router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

super cool, thanks!  

BTW ?      Which walk through did you use to bridge your router 

0 Likes
Re: remote DVR on non-verizon router
Not applicable

Not clear by your question regarding "walk through" as I am a non-IT guy.   I only made two modifications on Verizon Actiontec: put router on bridge mode, and turn off DHCP service.  When I first started, I had a hard time navigating through the menus of the verizon router.  Then, I just simply reset and did the above two modifications-- can be found on the network connection option.  Then it worked, without the remote DVR function.  I am not sure if the Verizon service UDP 63145 port forwarding on my Cisco router to the main DVR's IP address is necessary.  However, after the port forwarding and the unplugging, it worked.