retrieve recording from fios
newuser11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess this topic was discussed before and it was all over the internet. here is the issue.  I just got new plan and sign up with fios tv with dvr.  I am new to this and actually first use dvr.  I recorded some shows on tv and want to take it out put on my hard drive.  I looked through the dvr menu and found no option to do that, then contacted tech support.  they told me there is no way to do that due to copyright.   The recordings stay in the machine forvever even if I cancel my service I have to return the dvr machine recordings still in it.

I found discussions on internet about people trying to download the recording with real time recording with tv tuner.  I have an old vcr with dvd recording.  I tried to record it from dvr put found quality is not good, plackback was crappy, not clear.   Maybe the connection was not properly setup.  

anbody know how the connect settings to improve recording quality? 

I also found discussion that people try to record from dvr playback with tv tuner.  what are the good ones that can recording HDTV quality?  is it possible to record with HDMI ? 

0 Likes
Re: retrieve recording from fios
Jfhall
My son is deployed in Afghanistan and I would like record his favorite soccer matches and send them to him on a thumb drive or DVD recording. Can anyone help?
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Real simple for both of you.

You buy a DVD recorder.

Hook up the output of the STB (S video or composite. No reason for component as recorder won't record in HD) to the input of the recorder.

Play the show on the STB while recording on the DVD (make sure DVD recorder is set to record as long or longer than the show).

Make sure you don't change the channel on the STB while playing.

When show is finished, do whatever steps are shown in the recorder instructions to finalize DVD.

I do this all the time.

0 Likes
newuser11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying it on an old recorder with VCR and DVD, output is not good.  video is just ok, caption is completely blury.  is there a way to imporve quality? 

use one of things like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260046Kworld USB recorder

can I use coaxial cable ? 

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@newuser1 wrote:

I am trying it on an old recorder with VCR and DVD, output is not good.  video is just ok, caption is completely blury.  is there a way to imporve quality? ...

In addition to closely following the directions offered by CRobGauth in his earlier post, you need to look no further than your own post.  You are using an old recorder, and it's not doing the job.  Take a look at the Toshiba 620.  It's inexpensive and very capable.  However you will not be able to get HD recordings unless you use a Blu-Ray recorder and connect it directly to an HD output on the DVR.

0 Likes
newuser11
Enthusiast - Level 2

newuser11
Enthusiast - Level 2

newuser11
Enthusiast - Level 2

the recorder I'm using is lite on lvc-9006, it came out around 2005 or earlier.  it has VCR and DVD together. i think it is really old.

how about tv tuner support HDTV/ATSC  ? 

like this 

will the output improve a bit?

0 Likes
newuser11
Enthusiast - Level 2