what connector type required for IR Remote Input on HD DVR STB
taliaferro62

My 2 HD DVR STBs (not certain whether the model is 6416 or 7216) have a "IR Remote Input" on the rear panel that I would like to use.  I want to connect directly from my MRF-260 Universal Remote Control Base Station (http://www.universalremote.com/products/residential/base-stations/mrf-260) to the STB, but I need to know whether I need a "stereo" or "mono" 3.5mm connector for the STB.  Will either one work?  And can Verizon provide the appropriate cables?  Does the answer apply to either STB model?

I've noticed similar questions on the forum regarding IR extenders, but I'm really looking to bypass IR altogether and control the STB via direct connection from base station to STB.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: what connector type required for IR Remote Input on HD DVR STB
Hubrisnxs
Legend
The ir extenders only work with the 7xxx series set top boxes, and Verizon sent me one free. It was the same one on their website. So if you really want they could probably send you that one.

Www.Verizon.com/fiosaccessories
0 Likes
taliaferro62

I'm not looking for the IR extender.  That is designed to be plugged into the back of the STB and then the other end - an actual IR receiver - can be place somewhere outside a cabinet or whereever so the FIOS Remote Control can "see" it.

What I'm looking for is a cable with the appropriate 3.5mm connectors on both ends.  Then my base station receives an RF signal from my custom remote, translates it to appropriate IR code, but sends it "electrically" to the STB over the cable, not "optically" via the IR extender.

0 Likes
taliaferro62

To follow up, my STBs are both Model 6416.  Can anyone tell me if the IR remote inputs are functional, and if so, which connector type (mono or stereo) they require?

0 Likes