why booster blocks ondemand?
donnarey1

Hi-

We have 4 sets in the house.  2 are on a line that we split to when we added a TV into the kitchen and living room (neither had cable). Both were getting semi poor performance - so we put a radio shack booster on the line.  Cleared up all the reception problems - but it seems to block all the ondemand -- get error that box is offline and does not have a connection??

Any suggestions ??

0 Likes
Re: why booster blocks ondemand?
prisaz
Legend

I would say make sure you have good quality RG-6 coax and the proper Bi-Directional Splitter. Unless you are using a special bi-directional amplifier. You are going to have issues. I did find this one item that I had never though about.

Look on page 77 of the QIP-7232 P2 manual. How to bypass an amplifier using Diplexers. It allows the MOCA higher frequencies to bypass the amplifier. It could also be a problem with the MOCA signal not being strong enough even if it bypasses the amplifier. With your existing configuration it will block the IP (Internet) access the boxes use for the Guide data and all the other internet connected features such as Video on demand. Slight copywrite violation and it may get me in hot water but here it goes from the book. Page 77 of the QIP-7232 P2 Motorola Manual.

http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetail/NR/rdonlyres/E2F4160A-9111-476F-9E96-600D6717EC36/0/Motorola_72...

0 Likes
donnarey1

Hi -

The amplifier is bi-directional - i will have to go into the attic tomorrow - not sure if that splitter is bi-directional or not.

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Also make sure the splitter is 5-1000mhz and if you have any unused plug-ins, to cap them off or terminate them properly.
0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

@donnarey wrote:

Hi -

The amplifier is bi-directional - i will have to go into the attic tomorrow - not sure if that splitter is bi-directional or not.

Thanks for the help

Nope ... the amp is bi-directional only for the TV frequencies and the return channel for non-MoCA based systems (which is down in 47Mhz range).  The TV amp's you can buy from R/S and other places will not work on the FiOS system -- and many in fact will filter out frequencies about 900Mhz (much like using the wrong splitter type) -- you need to install a diplexer setup if you wish to use the amp.

Easy enough to prove -- pull the amp.   While your STB's might had degrade video performance and pixelization, they will probably show as "online" again for guide and VoD purposes.   

On a side note, within a typical home scenario, it should not be necessary to ever use an amp -- the signal is being originated at the ONT and is plenty strong to survive several splits a cable runs under a couple hundred feet.   If you are having issues, look for unterminated outlets in your cable plant (which can allow interference to enter the system) -- including splitters which don't have anyone on one of the outputs -- check all splitters to insure they are 5-1000Mhz rate, check all cable connections, and most importantly make sure you're using a good quality RG6 coax (and not that cheap stuff you get from R/S).   It is more likely you have a bad piece of cable somewhere in your setup than a need for an amp.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@donnarey wrote:

Hi -

Thanks for the help

It is and it isn't bi-directional.  Standard cable systems use a return path that is below 50 MHz and for that the amp is bi-directional.  The MoCA communication on the FiOS system is above 900 MHz where the amplifier is not bi-directional and why it is causing you problems with anything that needs IP from the STB to your router.

Bottom line, unless the amplifier is rated as bi-directionf for MoCA or you use the diplexed setup referenced earlier it won't work.

EDIT: Darn you Lasagna, I guess I don't type fast enough Smiley Wink

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Keyboards wrote:

EDIT: Darn you Lasagna, I guess I don't type fast enough Smiley Wink

You must type really slow ... you were an hour behind my post (and I wasn't sure it made it before we had a tree fall down and take out the power to the neighborhood for about 2 hours right after I hit post).   Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes