50/25 speed package and MI242WR Rev. D wireless router issue
wscovah

Hi,

So long story short, when cutting some features from our bill recently, the Verizon tech on the line upgraded us from our old speed package to 50/25, as it would save us $10 or so bucks since we've been a FiOS customer for a while and never upgraded our speeds.

On our wired computer, the Verizon speed test is showing everything is working normally, getting speeds at, or slightly above 50/25. The issue's we're having are with wireless connectivity.

Now, I know just based on the connection being wireless, we're going to have decreased speeds on our various devices, but when sitting next to the router and running a speed test, both download and upload speeds seem to be limited at 20 Mbps. This is odd because while that was our old DL speed, the upload speed has greatly increased, but once it hits that 20, it stops. Watching the needle gauging the speeds, it seems as if there's a wall set at 20, and the connection is trying to go past it, but just can't.

So, the question at hand is this: Does my MI242WR Rev. D router somehow limit our wireless speeds? I know it's a somewhat old router, was given to us with our old package, and a handful of new Revisions have come out since then, so that's what I was thinking could be the issue. Should I go to my local Verizon store and see if I can get an upgrade to a router that can handle the 50/25 speeds better?

0 Likes
Re: 50/25 speed package and MI242WR Rev. D wireless router issue
kandsh

I was "upgraded" to Quantum 50/25 a few weeks ago. Like you, with the ethernet wire connected, I'm getting the advertised speeds, but useing wireless, I'm getting slower speeds than with my old plan (25/25). Wireless I'm only getting about 12 download and 14 upload. After numerous phone calls to tech support, and getting a newer replacemeent router (similar to what I had before, not the N-router), I've basically been told I have to live with it, and there's nothing that can be done. Nobody could explain why my wireless speeds went DOWN from what I was experiencing before. If you find someone who can figure this out, I'd love to hear about it. Needless to say, I'm very unhappy with Quantum. Oh yeah, when I asked to have this reversed, I was told my only option was to go 15/5 since 25/25 was no longer offered by Verizon.

0 Likes
wscovah

Well that bodes well for me. Ugh. I'm now looking into piggybacking a wireless N router onto the MI424 and just using that as the modem and the Wirless N router for wireless. Just trying to figure out how to do that now.

0 Likes
Jksinfl1

I had the same problem. I installed a Belkin N router. My speed on the iPad went from 10 to 28. I found the instructions on Ehow.com.

0 Likes