802.11b? Are you kidding me?
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

While setting up a wireless printer a few days ago, I was looking at the available networks and noticed that my Actiontec Fios router is only 802.11b.  I guess I never thought to question it, seeing I had signed up for "high-speed" internet and subscribe to a 25/25 package.  Plus 802.11g was pretty much "standard" as of 2002.  Who would have thought Verizon was handing out 802.11b routers in 2008?  It is why I never bothered to check, and most screens I see don't show it.  A 25 mb/s pipe isn't worth much if my router only does 11 now is it? 

I see a thread here saying Verizon is apparently in the stone age and doesn't offer a 802.11n router, but "g" should work fine since my issue isn't range, but speed.  Can someone confirm that Verizon does offer something better than a "b" router?  Are they going to charge me to get a new one?  I already have to make a trip to a store to try and swap out my ancient DVR that is crippled by this new guide software.  It is too bad Verizon leaves it to the customer to hunt down the existence of improved equipment.

If they charge for a new one, can someone recommend a good third-party (used to use Netgear and Linksys products) router to tack on via LAN/WAN?  I haven't used one in probably 4 years, since I've had Verizon, so I'm not up on the tech.  Is there anything that would "enhance" my experience much more than the "basic" routers?  I have 4 laptops in the house, two PS3s, two Apple TVs, stream Netflix and iTunes though the Apple TVs, and stream internet radio and music from the house to a Yamaha receiver attached to a bridge. 

0 Likes
Re: 802.11b? Are you kidding me?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@BurtReynolds wrote:

noticed that my Actiontec Fios router is only 802.11b.

What revision Actiontec do you have?

VZ has never offered an 802.11b only router.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm sure you'll find it's actually a B/G which can handle your package speed with no problems.

I use a netgear wnd3700 for the internal device connections at 1gb wired and wireles N.  It's set up as a LAN/Wan connection.  I have nothing connected to the VZ router except a single ethernet LAN cable that feeds a switch on a different floor to which the Netgear is connected, Have a couple of virtual devices connected to the switch also that are "exposed" to the internet via port forwarding.

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

It is a MI424WR Rev. C router.  I guess I will have to log into it and check out the settings. I didn't realize you could shut off the "g" radio.  All I know is when the site survey came up, my SSID said "802.11b" while everyone else in the neighborhood (most also on Fios) were g. 

I still think I am going to go with another router though like the Netgear.  I read up on them today, and I'm envisioning a combination of a dual-band router with a couple sets of powerline adapters for streaming video to the TV. 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

"I still think I am going to go with another router though like the Netgear.  I read up on them today, and I'm envisioning a combination of a dual-band router with a couple sets of powerline adapters for streaming video to the TV. "

Is that so you can watch yourself in Smokey and the Bandit.  Loved those movies.

Jim

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

The MI424WR Rev. C router is a B/GZ router.  To see this log in to the router and click on Wireless Settings. The Wireless Status screen is a list of your router's wireless settings. Mode will tell you what it is set for.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Since it is a rev. C router. I would suggest contacting tech support. Tell them it is giving you trouble. Mine started locking up. They may just send out a Gen 2. Rev E router. It is not a N router but still better. With my old rev D they said not to even send it back. I believe if you have had the router for more than a certain time, they will not ask for it back. Replacing that router would also help out with performance in regards to NAT table size and online gaming if you do any of that. That should not have been used for a new install. Have you had the router and or service for very long?

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

Any idea why when I type my password I get 3 characters per letter?  It worked earlier, but I only had time to reset the username/PW.  I never actually bothered to get on there.  Now I appear to be unable to enter a password.  Seeing my keyboard is working fine to type this, and the login name goes in fine, I am really confused.  I tried to log in with both Safari and Chrome.  I wondered if it was just "masking" the real length of the password, but when I put it in, it failed to log in. I even just plugged in a wireless keyboard to use instead of the Macbook's keyboard.  No luck.  The time it entered like 8 characters with an "S" was all I typed. 

Regarding the age of my install, I've had this router since 2007 when Fios was installed with the new house.  It has been 100% reliable, which is why I haven't bothered to mess with anything.  Like I said in my original post, I also have a old DVR that can't handle the image 1.9 and since the update can't be relied on to playback (or maybe the problem is with recording) shows, so I am probably making a trip to the Fios store in a mall in the area soon enough. 

And Smokey and the Bandit was some of my best work. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

East bound and down loaded up and truckin, we gonna do what they say can't be done..... or was that West?Smiley Very Happy

I just bought a copy of that on DVD. I used to have it on VHS.

Ignore the multiple characters, it is a security precaution in case someone looks over your shoulder. Also Admin password may have been changed by Verizon to match your routers serial number. Some of the default passwords were not secure. If you have had service since 2007, there should not be any problems getting a new router. When I first had mine installed in 2005, they were not giving wireless routers, and had no TV. TV got rid of my 4 port netgear, and netted my first Actiontec that was a Rev. A.

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

Ignore the multiple characters, it is a security precaution in case someone looks over your shoulder. Also Admin password may have been changed by Verizon to match your routers serial number. Some of the default passwords were not secure. If you have had service since 2007, there should not be any problems getting a new router. When I first had mine installed in 2005, they were not giving wireless routers, and had no TV. TV got rid of my 4 port netgear, and netted my first Actiontec that was a Rev. A.

Thanks.  I changed the PW from default earlier, but hadn't logged back in and looked around.  Just got back in.  My transmission rate is at 54, so I guess I am a "g".  I wonder why the printer tool didn't see it that way, the printer is supposed to be b/g and saw the other "g" signals. 

0 Likes