Actiontec MoCA adapter issues with Fios Internet
dwboston
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm attempting to install an Actiontec ECB2500C coax netwoork adapter in order to get ethernet connectivity to our newly finished basement TV room.  I've followed the recommended install instructions so as maintain VOD and Guide services on the STB: I've split the coax out of the wall, with one cable going to the MoCA adapter and the other going to the STB.  I get solid green lights for both Coax and Ethernet on the adapter, but get no internet connection trying any device connected via that ethernet port.  I'm at a loss here - I think I have it set up correctly but can't get an internet connection.  I'm using the stock FiOS MI424WR Rev I router.  This is supposed to be plug and play, but apparently not for me.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec MoCA adapter issues with Fios Internet
xfactor
Enthusiast - Level 3

can you double check the splitter, make sure it says 5-1000 mhz or better.  

0 Likes
dwboston
Enthusiast - Level 1

@xfactor wrote:

can you double check the splitter, make sure it says 5-1000 mhz or better.  

I've tried two different splitters: the one supplied with the ECB2500C that is labeled "5-2150 MHz" and a new RCA one that is labeled "5-2400 MHz".

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

How many cable boxes do you have,  the router has a limit of 7 I think including the router.     actually I take that back, that rev I router, can do like 15 

0 Likes
dwboston
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

How many cable boxes do you have,  the router has a limit of 7 I think including the router.     actually I take that back, that rev I router, can do like 15 

We only have 3.  The multi-room DVR and 2 satellite boxes.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the ECB is acting as though it's not connected to the FiOS network at all. The ECB probably has a poor connection to it. Check your RF-coax connections (undo and redo all connections) and temporarily remove any upstream splitters, power bars, etc. 

Put the eCB as close to the incoming cable to your home as possible for the best signal. If you have another location in the home where a STB is working properly, try moving the ecb over there and try it.  you might just have a bum ECB instead of bad wiring. 

0 Likes
dwboston
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks.  OK - Verizon set up a 5-way splitter at the source cable coming out of the ONT to feed the connections in the house.  Just to test, I took that source cable and ran it to a two-way splitter, one of which is going to the cable connection in the basement TV room, and I was able to get an internet connection from the ethernet cable connected to the ECB.  I guess the next question is, what do I do to get enough signal to each of the four cable outlets in the house?  Do I need a higher quality splitter at the source than the one Verizon installed? Or do I need to have Verizon come out? Can the signal be amplified somehow?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Regardless of the Frequency Ratings, be sure the splitter is Bi-Directional. Transmit and receive in both directions.

0 Likes
dwboston
Enthusiast - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

Regardless of the Frequency Ratings, be sure the splitter is Bi-Directional. Transmit and receive in both directions.

The two-way splitters i have are bi-directional and brand new.  It's interesting - if I connect the main cable coming out of the ONT to a two-way splitter, and put only the cable with the ECB on the splitter (leaving the other output open), I get a strong ethernet LAN connection.  If I add another cable to the empty output on the 2-way splitter, I lose the ethernet connection completely.  I'll try a good 4-way bi-directional spitter - if that doesn't work (and I don't expect it will) I guess I'll have Verizon come out and take a look at it.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have heard you can't use the second output on the ECB for the STB. So it would be.

STB

ONT- Splitter  - Splitter-

ECB - LAN

No connection to the ECB on the TV coax port. This does not work? Going through two splitters should be fine, providing you do not have signal loss because of older RG-59 cable, or bad connections. Cable should be RG-6.

Unless something has changed, I believe the ECB TV port is a one way pass though?