Actiontec router IP address conflicts with wired home network router. How to fix?
bizmgr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a home network that utilizes the 192.168.1.x subnet that is tied to an Adtran 2630 router/firewall addressed at 192.168.1.1 that originally plugged into a Time Warner cable modem.  The Adtran is my default gateway and DHCP server as well.  I am having Fios internet installed and learned that the FIOS Actiontec router is also 192.168.1.1, which will conflict with my Adtran router.  I really prefer NOT to have to change my internal network addressing.  Can I and how do I reconfigure my Actiontec router IP address in order to prevent the conflict and allow me to keep my Adtran network intact without reconfiguring?  Also, since I also have FIOS TV set top boxes and a DVR being installed, what do I need to do to the STB and DVR should the 192.168.1.1 address change in the Actiontec?  The FIOS tech said that the STB's are statically addressed.  Not sure if that's accurate or not.  Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Actiontec router IP address conflicts with wired home network router. How to fix?
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Since you will have TV, you need to keep the Actiontec around.

What do you intend to do with Wireless?  Sounds like you don't have it now, but you might use it in the futture?

You or the installer can change the Actiontec to be 192.168.2.x, and then attach your current router to a LAN port and go from there.

The STBs will still attach via cable to the Actiontec and get all their data from it.

BTW: a straight substitution would not require any address changes.

View solution in original post

Re: Actiontec router IP address conflicts with wired home network router. How to fix?
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Since you will have TV, you need to keep the Actiontec around.

What do you intend to do with Wireless?  Sounds like you don't have it now, but you might use it in the futture?

You or the installer can change the Actiontec to be 192.168.2.x, and then attach your current router to a LAN port and go from there.

The STBs will still attach via cable to the Actiontec and get all their data from it.

BTW: a straight substitution would not require any address changes.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bizmgr wrote:

I have a home network that utilizes the 192.168.1.x subnet that is tied to an Adtran 2630 router/firewall addressed at 192.168.1.1 that originally plugged into a Time Warner cable modem.  The Adtran is my default gateway and DHCP server as well. 

In the couple of years that I have been looking at these forums I've never seen anybody suggest trying to change the Fios router subnet which makes me think that there might be issues in doing it.

Guess there is no harm in trying.  Connect to the router in admin mode,  Change the subnet and connect a LAN port of the the VZ router to the WAN port of the Adtran router.  If it works OK note the comment below about port forwarding

If it doesn't work push the reset button on the VZ router to return it to factory defaults

and 
Connect to the adtran router in admin mode and change the subnet to something other than 192.168.1.

When they install your Fios router connect a LAN port of the VZ router to the WAN port of your adtran and make the WAN address of it a static address.  I you use port forwarding on the adtran you will have to set up port forwarding ruleson the VZ router to forward those ports the to Adtran WAN address on the 192.168.1 subnet.

bizmgr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Changing the subnet worked like a charm and was very easy to do.  In addition to modifying the subnet address (I used 192.168.0.1), I also needed to change the Begin/End addresses for the DHCP pool to match the same subnet since my router was doing DHCP.  Also needed to disconnect/reconnect power to the STB's in order to reboot them so they could re-acquire a new IP address from the Actiontec.  The STB's are setup for DHCP, not static addresses mentioned by the VZ tech.  Without the reboot, they were stuck on one TV channel and no channel guide.

After making the Actiontec changes, I connected one of it's LAN ports to the WAN port of the Adtran and all is fine.  No port forwarding was needed.  No address conflicts.  FIOS is up and running 3 times faster than with roadrunner and no issues are apparent with VZ.  Thank you for your help.  I really appreciated it.

0 Likes
bizmgr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

In the Actiontec, changing the subnet worked just fine.  Also needed to update the DHCP pool with the new subnet begin/addresses.  Rebooted the STB's with a power recycle so as to pickup a new DHCP address.  Plugged the Actiontec LAN port into the Adtran WAN port and all is fine; no port forwarding needed.  THANKS AGAIN!!!!

0 Likes