Advanced Routing using Verizon MI424WR router and a second router.
jucytec

I'm trying to achieve the following and have been unsucessful, I'm hoping someone has already done this...

I have a Verizon MI424WR which is using Coax for incoming internet.

AND...

I have a Non-Verizon provided D-Link router that has Wireless-N I'd like to use.

I would like to have Verizon MI424WR connected to my D-Link and use the DHCP on the D-Link Only.  I've tried enabling a DMZ on Verizon MI424WR and linking it to my WAN port on D-Link without any success. 

Anyone have any idea how to set this up?

Internet -> Verizon MI424WR (DMZ Pass Through) -> D-Link (DHCP to Home Network).

If this is not possible I'd like to setup:

Internet -> Verizon MI424WR (DHCP) -> D-Link (DHCP Disabled/Used as WAP and a Switch)

When I tried the above the DLink was NOT getting an IP Assignment from MI424WR.

0 Likes
Re: Advanced Routing using Verizon MI424WR router and a second router.
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@jucytec wrote:

I'm trying to achieve the following and have been unsucessful, I'm hoping someone has already done this...

AND...

I have a Non-Verizon provided D-Link router that has Wireless-N I'd like to use.

I would like to have Verizon MI424WR connected to my D-Link and use the DHCP on the D-Link Only.  I've tried enabling a DMZ on Verizon MI424WR and linking it to my WAN port on D-Link without any success. 

Internet -> Verizon MI424WR (DMZ Pass Through) -> D-Link (DHCP to Home Network).

Internet -> Verizon MI424WR (DHCP) -> D-Link (DHCP Disabled/Used as WAP and a Switch)

There are some trade-offs to each of these configurations.  You should review the following FAQ:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

DMZ is option #2 in that FAQ.

WAP is option #3, which includes a link to a step by step walk-through.

Re: Advanced Routing using Verizon MI424WR router and a second router.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jucytec wrote:

AND...

Connect a machine standalone to the dlink router and logon to the admin site.

Change the subnet for the dlink to 192.168.2.1 and make it a static address 192.168.1.254.

Connect as admin to the actiontec and remove address 254 from the dhcp assigments

Connect a lan port of the Actiontec to the wan port of the dlink.

connect all your workstations to the dlink.

0 Likes