Anyone else having issues with Netflix streaming recently?
Sri

I have been streaming Netflix movies using my Samsung Bluray player in one room and using LG TV (with built-in Netflix) in another room for over 6 months without any issues.  This past Friday I found out that the Netflix streaming quality was very poor with lots of pixelation and horizontal lines of various colors.  I then tried playing movies from Netflix using my computers and the video plays for about 5 seconds before I get the error N8156-4001 from the Netflix movie viewer.  These are all the things I tried but till now the problem is not resolved ...

*  Rebooted the Actiontec router

*  I was using OpenDNS, so I switched back to the Verizon DNS servers, that didn't help, so switched back to OpenDNS, still the same

*  Deactivated my Netflix devices and reactivated them

*  Upgraded Silverlight to version 4

*  Flushed DNS cache on my computer

*  Unplugged my Bluray player and Netflix enabled TV and reconfigured the network on both of them

*  Released my router's DHCP connection and renewed it

All of my speed tests indicate good speeds - 15-20 Mbps download, I have no Qos configured on my router, my computers and bluray player and TV have hardwired network connections, tracert to Netflix server doesn't indicate any problem and I can play even HD videos from YouTube without any problem.  It sounds like the issue is with Netflix or Fios is throttling Netflix traffic but I would think that a lot more people would see this issue then.  Anyone else seeing this?

Can anyone think of anything else I can try or look for?

Thanks very much in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone else having issues with Netflix streaming recently?
texdub

I've been having the same problem with Netflix.

I have also had a big drop-off in speed, though. I pay for 25 mbps service, but haven't gotten above 18 mbps in weeks.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the model and version of that Actiontech?

For example Actiontech, MI-424-WI, D.

0 Likes
Sri
My Actiontec router model is MI424WR-GEN2 E and the firmware version has been 20.10.7 since I got Fios. So, not sure why it should start doing this now when it has been working fine for over 6 months and that too only when I'm accessing Netflix. Thanks
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
kendux

I am having an issue with streaming a Netflix TV show to my Apple TV and then watching it.  The Netfix program stops every few minutes for 30 sec or more forcing me to hit play or fast forward on my remote.  The Netflix rep said to reboot the Apple TV and the FIOS router but it didn,t solve the problem.  I checked my download speed: it is about 17 Mb.  Can someone help?

Kendux

0 Likes
Burningtree
Enthusiast - Level 1
All spring and summer Netflix/fios has been a problem. I have used a tool that goes beyond simple speed tests and gets to dividing up thE problem. It appears that the problems reside with fios, however true to form Verizon repair denies any problem (go figure) .
suspicious1
Enthusiast - Level 1
Same issue. I pay for 75 Mbps, and get good bandwidth for general internet usage, except when I stream Netflix or Amazon movies. Then the bandwidth often drops into the single digits, with the movies being interrupted several times. I have called them several times to complain, but they have no credible answers. Are we dealing with a conflict of interest issue here? Are they trying to force me to rent (often, as ridiculous as it may seem, purchase) the movies from them? I pay nearly $300 per month for Internet, Cable TV and phone service to Verizon. Is that not enough? Have they not realized that I represent the perfect demographic for them, the person who loyally maintains the relationship with their cable provider while also supplementing their entertainment options with what the next generation considers their only source of entertainment, namely a world disconnected from cable. If I pay for 75 Mbps Internet service, give it to me, otherwise I'll pay more to get an independent internet provider and pick another vendor for cable and phone.

I feel like being "had" in a big way, and the fuse will eventually burn out.
0 Likes