Assistance Needed - Wireless signal low /loses connectivity
JBillips1978

I live in a townhouse and our router is situated in the unfinished basement; only place I was advised it could be set up.  Anyway - although we had 2 floors between the computer (laptop) and router, this was never a problem until recently.  We began losing connections or can't connect.  So, I decided to upgrade my speed and still this is a challenge.  Verizon assures me that there is nothing wrong with my router or speed and the issue is the interference with the router being in the basement. Again, this was never a problem until now.....Any thoughts on what I should do? Would one of those signal amplifiers work?

0 Likes
Re: Assistance Needed - Wireless signal low /loses connectivity
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The router gets its signal from the coax cable, so I would personally move the router to a different room. 

Whatever room has a working fios tv, is a potential place where you can move the router.  

Some of the pictures below will help you think about what is the best place, and all you will need is a tv splitter rated 5-1000 mhz.   Those are reasonably cheap online at amazon.com and monoprice.com

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also there are a couple other things I did not mention.

The local Verizon stores do replacements of routers only, over the counter, so you could just take it to the store and ask for a replacement.

Also There are some wireless channels in the router that can be manipulated.  when you change a wireless channel one will have more interference than another.  So you may find a wireless channel with less interference and so your performance would increase.

You would have to go into the router to change wireless channels. 

0 Likes
JBillips1978

Thank you; I attempted to change the channel and when I viewed the traffic on the channels, mine was the least congested. I am on channel 11 when everyone else was on 6.  It's also set up to change automatically to find the best frequency.  Our FIOS fibre cables come into the house via the basement and I noticed there is the coax cable and an ethernet cable hooked in.  Am I still able to move it knowing this? 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Well that add's a little bit to it, so take a look at the router, and see if the Ethernet WAN light is on. 

If that is on, it makes it toughter to move.   Not impossible but tougher.

If you are COAX WAN and that light is lit then you are golden

0 Likes
JBillips1978

Figures! LOL WAN Ethernet is on and LAN COAX is on. If it's challenging to move, would I be able to just add another router or some kind of amplifier?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yes, you could buy a second Verizon router (refurbs are cheap online at ebay.com only get rev e and higher) 

And then you can move that second router into any room with coax. 

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge 

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I assume you do NOT have FIOS TV, just internet and phone? Also assuming you do wireless-only in your home, no Ethernet wiring?

What may have happened is that a neighbor got a wireless phone or some other device that is interfering with your signal. This happens.

0 Likes
JBillips1978

We have FIOS Internet and TV, and everthing else for Verizon.  We were one of the first to get FIO is our area so I imagine the router, and even the set up is possibly antiquated by now.  I will try the 2nd router and go from there.

0 Likes
Re: Wireless signal low /loses connectivity
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you looked to see if there are other wifi signals near your house?

Check to see what channel your WIFI signal is on.
Then go in to rotuer and turn it off.

Then use your IPAD to search and see what other wifi signals you see.

Quuite possible a neighbor has added WIFI on the same channel as yours and it is causing interference.

Do you have a custom SSID? If not, it is possible another WIFI network has the same generic name.

0 Likes