Asus RT-Ac66r can't pull WAN IP from Ethernet cable (PPPoE)
UdNeedaMiracle
Enthusiast - Level 1
I am in desperate need of some help. I'm attempting to use an unsupported configuration from Verizon that should allow me to retain VOD and guide while setting my router as the primary and the actiontec (rev I) behind it. The concept is that I disable the firewall, IP Distribution and WAP functions of the actiontec. I plug the Ethernet cable from the ONT right into the WAN of my Asus and link the actiontec LAN to LAN. I then configure my Asus to assign my settop box the ip of 192.168.1.100 by its MAC address and I in theory should be able to use my router as the primary and not lose functionality of my TV service. I have a PPPoE connection type that is open in regards to password. I could put in anything and it would take it. I log into my Asus to configure the connection, set it up and get the error "Detecting the connection type has timed out, would you like to try again?" From the home screen of the router, it shows the connection is disconnected, I have no lease, it can not renew a lease, I have no WAN IP, and I have no Gateway.

I have the latest firmware on both routers, the WAN port light is lit on the Asus, I cloned the MAC Address of my actiontec, I disabled my Actiontec from pulling and IP Address, and I'm really quite stumped.

I spent numerous hours on the phone with a Verizon tech today that determined that this setup should work in theory, I should be pulling an IP address no problem, and that everything was performing fine on their end and mine up until the connection with the router. I was also able to determine that this isn't a router specific problem because a Linksys Wrt54G v3.0 could not pull and IP either. The Actiontec is the only router able to pull an IP, and the other routers aren't even able to get a connection functioning as access points.

I looked online for hours and did not find a solution, and I have decided to come here hoping that you guys might have some suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Asus RT-Ac66r can't pull WAN IP from Ethernet cable (PPPoE)
UdNeedaMiracle
Enthusiast - Level 1
This problem has been resolved. I had 4 techs tell me I was setup for Ethernet, and after calling this morning I got a fifth tech. I asked him to check for the fifth time if I was configured for Ethernet, and surprise surprise I wasn't. After switching to Ethernet I was able to pull an IP no problem. Also, setting up with dhcp wouldn't work because I am one of the rare cases of people still setup for PPPoE. Thank you for the reply, however this is now a resolved issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@UdNeedaMiracle wrote:
 I have a PPPoE connection type that is open in regards to password. I could put in anything and it would take it. I log into my Asus to configure the connection, set it up and get the error "Detecting the connection type has timed out, would you like to try again?" From the home screen of the router, it shows the connection is disconnected, I have no lease, it can not renew a lease, I have no WAN IP, and I have no Gateway.

Who told you to set up the connection as PPPoE?

You did have your Ont connection changed to be ethernet instead of coax?  If so you should just connect to it with an ethernet connection and you'll get a dhcp address

0 Likes
UdNeedaMiracle
Enthusiast - Level 1
This problem has been resolved. I had 4 techs tell me I was setup for Ethernet, and after calling this morning I got a fifth tech. I asked him to check for the fifth time if I was configured for Ethernet, and surprise surprise I wasn't. After switching to Ethernet I was able to pull an IP no problem. Also, setting up with dhcp wouldn't work because I am one of the rare cases of people still setup for PPPoE. Thank you for the reply, however this is now a resolved issue.
0 Likes