Blocking WIFI DVD Netflix acces?
dcjenn

We recently switched to FIOS Internet after much anticipation of it finally coming to DC.  Now much to our chagrin when I tried to connect our Blu-Ray DVD player with WIFI access to Netflix for instant watching, I am unable to connect.

Does FIOS block access to this service?  If so, they will be losing a customer very quickly, both on principle and on practicle purpose.

0 Likes
Re: Blocking WIFI DVD Netflix acces?
aaronwtfios1
Contributor - Level 1

no issues here with my Blu-ray Disc players and Netflix(IBD has nothing to do with a DVD. A BD has more in common with a CD than A DVD)

I've also had no issues with Netflix n my TiVos,m 360s', WIis, and PS3s.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dcjenn wrote:

We recently switched to FIOS Internet after much anticipation of it finally coming to DC.  Now much to our chagrin when I tried to connect our Blu-Ray DVD player with WIFI access to Netflix for instant watching, I am unable to connect.

Does FIOS block access to this service?  If so, they will be losing a customer very quickly, both on principle and on practicle purpose.

What error message does it give?  Or are you saying that you cannot get an IP address?

wirelessnow

i just got fios and i am having the exact same problem.   were you able to get this resolved?  if so, how?

thanks!

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Take a look at this link.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Issue-connecting-to-samsung-download-site/m-p/212262#M142...

There are several links to more info.

Many Samsung Blu-ray players have network issues. Its actually a problem on Samsungs side. Neither of you mentioned what type of Blu-ray you have but I'm taking a wild stab at this.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have no problems either.   Are you sure you have your Blu-ray player properly configured?  If you go into the router, can you see the Blu-ray player under the My Networks section?  If so, can you run the device test and try to ping it and get a response?   If not, you have a configuration problem, not anything FiOS related.

Does your Blu-ray player have a hard wired connection available?  If so, have you tried directly connecting the player via a hardwire connection to make sure you everything working properly before setting up the wireless configuration?

theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you using any Samsung product if you are there is a problem with FIOS. Please let me know.

0 Likes
nagurentala
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using a VIZIO blu-ray player. I am able to connect the player to Internet and browse other apps like Pandora, VUDU etc., but when I try to access NETFLIX, I get the error message - Not connected to the internet. Please check your connection and try again. This problem started only three days ago. I called up NETFLIX and per their tech support advice, reset everything (three times) and still I get the same error. I have no problem watching from Netflix using my PC. NETFLIX tech support says that Verizon is blocking the VIZIO from accessing the NETFLIX server. Anyone can help?

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The fact that you can watch from your PC would seem to disprove the Netflix support person's assertion that VZ is blocking Netflix.  Do you have any other devices (like maybe PS/3 or Xbox) that you could try to access Netflix from to see if it's specifically related to the Vizeo or something more generic?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could try to switch your FiOS router from using WEP security to WPA2 Security (or WPA if you have devices that do not support WPA2). Use this guide I typed up in a previous post below.

First, visit http://192.168.1.1/ on your PC, connected using Ethernet. Log in with the Username of admin, and the password should be your router's Serial Number found on the bottom of the router on a sticker.

Second, choose Wireless Settings on the top navigation, then choose Advanced Security from the Right hand navigation. On this page, you'll see a listing of supported wireless methods for your router. If you have an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. C or newer, WPA2 should be listed. Select the bubble for WPA2.

Third, you should see a page asking for a Pre-Shared Key setup. Make sure Pre-Shared Key is selected, and then fill in the form titled "Pre-Shared Key" with the password you wish to use on your wireless network. This can be the same key that is on the sticker at the bottom of the router, or it can be one you have set that cannot be easilly guessed. Finally, make sure the Encryption Algorithum is set to AES. Using TKIP on WPA2 defeats the purpose of WPA2 and also reduces performance on the radio, plus many devices lack support for WPA2-PSK TKIP. You can leave the Group Key Renewal value the same, or you can set it to a value such as 3600 (2 hours) if you experience frequent but timely disconnects after switching to WPA2.

Once you apply the settings, while you're at it go back to the Advanced Wireless settings page, and visit the 802.11g/b mode page. Set the router to only use Wireless G, as there is no point supporting Wireless B when using WPA2 encryption. Ensures performance.

Once this is all done, re-configure your wireless devices to use the new form of security you have set, along with your new security key if you have set a new one.

Let us know how things went. Remember, if something goes wrong and you can't correct it, just press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds. This will reset it back to the way you received the router from Verizon.