Can I add a second wired / wireless router in my home by connecting to another FiOS coax outlet?
trexmgd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can I add a second router in my home by connecting to another FiOS coax outlet?

My existing, Verizon supplied, router is connected to a cable coax outlet on one side of the house and works fine.  With all the new A/V equipment coming out these days, I'd like to be able to network them.  So what I'd lke to do is put a splitter before my FiOS HD DVR receiver and connect another router right there for my TV, BLU Ray, Receiver, XBOX, etc.

Any tips, comments, or suggestions appreciated.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I add a second wired / wireless router in my home by connecting to another FiOS coax outlet?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ECB2200 is a MoCA bridge ... it uses the FiOS cable plant (same cable to which your router and your TV STB's are attached) to establish a network connection to the router (the STB's actually have one of this guys builtin to allow them to get at the internet for the guide, etc.).   It co-exists with everything -- no dedicated cable run (you could use a pair of ECB2200's and a dedicated cable run to extend an ethernet connection, but this is not the configuration you need in this case -- a single ECB2200 is all you need).

As mentioned previously, it's a single port device (view it simply as if it were a 5th LAN port on your Verizon router albeit in a location distant from the router itself).   If you need more than one port in the bridge location, you need an inexpensive ethernet switch (not router, switch) to connect to the ECB2200 as well.

This is how my home is set and it works great!

View solution in original post

Re: Can I add a second wired / wireless router in my home by connecting to another FiOS coax outlet?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google ECB2200

It's a moca repeater that will do what you are trying to do however it only has one ethernet connection so if you have more tah 1 device you will need to add an inexpensive switch to the repeater.

trexmgd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the response.

I want to make sure I'm clear that the coax I'd be plugging into is in-use for my FiOS TVs, not just a run of coax between rooms.

Is there any reason I couldn't simply plug in another router?

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

By connecting a second router to the coax you would essentially have two routers connected to the ONT. The ONT can only have 1 connected directly to it. But what you can do is use MOCA bridge to the coax so that it gives you an coax to Ethernet connection, but still only have one router connected to the ONT.

The bridge would allow your ethernet device to talk to the router, then the router to the internet.

The only way to have a second router is to run ethernet from the first router to the second.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ECB2200 is a MoCA bridge ... it uses the FiOS cable plant (same cable to which your router and your TV STB's are attached) to establish a network connection to the router (the STB's actually have one of this guys builtin to allow them to get at the internet for the guide, etc.).   It co-exists with everything -- no dedicated cable run (you could use a pair of ECB2200's and a dedicated cable run to extend an ethernet connection, but this is not the configuration you need in this case -- a single ECB2200 is all you need).

As mentioned previously, it's a single port device (view it simply as if it were a 5th LAN port on your Verizon router albeit in a location distant from the router itself).   If you need more than one port in the bridge location, you need an inexpensive ethernet switch (not router, switch) to connect to the ECB2200 as well.

This is how my home is set and it works great!

trexmgd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you to all that replied and talked me through this.  Looks like I'll be getting a ECB2200 and an ethernet switch to hook up my peripherals in my entertainmnet center. I'll probably be back when I need to network my refrigerator and washer & dryer 😉

Thanks again.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't want to do that ... while the refrigerator talking to the dryer has had the interesting side effect of automatically tossing my salads, my washer now insists on feeding my clothes to the ice maker which makes for either shredded or frozen clothes depending on the setting.  I can only imagine what would have happened if they networked my coffee maker and toaster as well!  Smiley Very Happy