Can't get ip from verizon router to iMac over ethernet
mw73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've got an MI424WR verizon router that is running wireless fine. I also have a Apple Airport Express connected to the Verizon router via ethernet that is running in bridge mode so I can have access to all of my other Apple wireless points and printers in my house. All of this works flawlessly over wireless.

If I plug my iMac into my ethernet cable and then attempt to plug into the back of the Verizon router, I can only get a self assigned IP address on my iMac over ethernet. I've tried many suggestions on the Mac side, from using a manual IP to trashing several prefence files in the system etc. I've also tried a factory reset on the Verizon router. Nothing is working to get the ethernet working to my iMac.

I'm beginning to think it could be a MAC address issue where the Verizon router is not passing or getting something from the iMac correctly, but I have not idea how to really dig into the Verizon router settings to check this out.

Verizon support is less that useless so I'm hoping some savy network folks out there may have some suggestions for me.

thanks for any help you can offer.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't get ip from verizon router to iMac over ethernet
mw73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally a successfull update.

The crux of my problem was something to do with either the last upgrade to Yosemite or to how my Mac was loading startup items or both of these issues.

First, I confirmed that I could connect to the same ethernet cable with another Mac running one OS back from Yosemite. It connected instantly and the Verizon router passed it an ip address with no problem.

Next, I connected my iMac back to the ethernet and then booted my iMac into safemode and then made a new network location in the network prefs. I then turned off the wifi antennae and had the ethernet set to use DHCP. Renewing the DHCP lease still did not work, but once I rebooted again in safe mode with wifi still turned off, after about 5 minutes, the iMac was able to pull a working ip address from the verizon router.

All on the network side was working fine, but once I booted out of safe mode, my finder went into a horrific crash loop. After doing some cleaning of my system preferences and clearing out all startup items I am now back in business.

thanks to all who suggested ideas.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried the MAC on another router to make sure it can receive an IP over that port correctly?

Not sure about a MAC, but in WIndows, you have to configure the port to request an IP (default, but could be changed to static).

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the basics first: Are you sure the Ethernet cable is good?

I can't tell from you post if the iMac was connected to the AirPort via WiFi or Ethernet.  If it was WiFi and you haven't used this cable with anything other than the Actiontec, then maybe the cable is bad.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

If you actually bridged your Actiontec then you effectively turned of its DHCP server.  With the server off it isn't going to respond and issue a private IP to any device plugged into it.

Your Airport Express is now your network's router.

You have many options to make what you want to do work  and if you go to DSL Reports on line you will see all the possibilities.

The two simplest are:

1.  Leave you Actiontec as your networks primary and only router and use your Airport Express as an access point (AP)

2.   You can leave the Actiontec as a router and double NAT your Airport express behind the Actiontec.

If you have TV from FIOS you really need to keep the Actiontec in play if you want PPV, guide info, etc. so you are going to have to do something.   The first option above is the most straight forward and easiests particularly if you don't have above average networking skills.

0 Likes
mw73
Enthusiast - Level 3

To be sure I understand what you are saying, are you saying that since I've connected my Apple router to the Verizon router and the Apple router is acting as a bridge that my Verizon router should not be passing out any ip addresses or only ip addresses over ethernet?

If so, I don't think you have this right for a few reasons:

1) I can still join either the verizon or Apple router via the wifi, hence I'm getting DHCP over wifi from the Verizon router

2) If I disconnect the Apple router from the Verizon router and take it out of the equation and then connect the iMac by ethernet into the Verizon router, I still cannot get an ip address assigned to the iMac.

Please confirm so I can make sure I follow you.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

When you say that your Apple router is bridged to the Actiontec what do you mean?

If the Apple is truly bridged is it connected to the Actiontec by WiFi or using an Ethernet cable?  Normally a bridge would mean that the WiFi on the Apple would not be used for connection by devices but as the transport between the Actiontec and the Apple.   

Are you using the Apple as a wireless repeater?

Do you have different SSIDs on the Actiontec and the Apple?

Do you have TV service from Verizon?

Once you expalin your setup better and what you want to accomplish perhaps someone can come up with a solution to your problem.

Again bridging isn't the most common set up.   Using your Apple as an AP would be a simple and common setup and would allow you to connect your other Apple devices.

0 Likes
mw73
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Apple router is connected to the Verizon router via ethernet. The apple router is set in bridge mode, so it does not pass out any ip addresses, but allows me to use several Apple wifi access points in the house for networking things to points (e.g. airport connected to a USB printer for wireless printing over the wifi, Apple TV, and Airport set up to extend the wireless coverage). I do have Verizon TV service and can use the Verizon services (e.g. guide, multiroom DVRs) all fine over the wifi signal from the Verizon router.

What I want to do is take advantage of the ethernet cable in my house and connect additional Macs to the verizon router via ethernet.

0 Likes
milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'd make sure my Ethernet port is turned on.  I have a Mac Mini and it looked like the Ethernet port wasn't working but I could connect via WiFi.  I had to go into preferences and then turn on the wired Ethernet port to get it to work.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

What you are really using your Apple router for is an AP.

Given the information you have presented it seems that the MACs probably can't connect to the Actiontec because both the WiFi and Ethernet is on or at least the Ethernet on the Mac is off.  Also if you gave the Mac a fixed/sticky/static IP either disable it or be sure it is in the same subnet as the DHCP of the Actiontec.  (192.168.1.1  -   192.168.1.254  and not 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.100 -110 )

Try to disable the WiFi on the Mac and then enable the Ethernet port.    If still can't connect try connecting the MAC to an Ethernet port on the Apple router if it still won't connect then you probably have either a bad cable or bad Ethernet adapter on the Mac.

0 Likes
mw73
Enthusiast - Level 3

Finally a successfull update.

The crux of my problem was something to do with either the last upgrade to Yosemite or to how my Mac was loading startup items or both of these issues.

First, I confirmed that I could connect to the same ethernet cable with another Mac running one OS back from Yosemite. It connected instantly and the Verizon router passed it an ip address with no problem.

Next, I connected my iMac back to the ethernet and then booted my iMac into safemode and then made a new network location in the network prefs. I then turned off the wifi antennae and had the ethernet set to use DHCP. Renewing the DHCP lease still did not work, but once I rebooted again in safe mode with wifi still turned off, after about 5 minutes, the iMac was able to pull a working ip address from the verizon router.

All on the network side was working fine, but once I booted out of safe mode, my finder went into a horrific crash loop. After doing some cleaning of my system preferences and clearing out all startup items I am now back in business.

thanks to all who suggested ideas.