Can't get my WiFi to work...Please help!
solidsnake
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok so today i went and bought a new laptop and after setting it up when i got home i tried to connect to my Fios internet via the wifi signal my modem/router sends out and every time i connect it says "limited access" and i can't browse the net or anything. What am i doing wrong? Any help would be awesome! Thank you.

Re: Can't get my WiFi to work...Please help!
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Limited access usually means you have the wrong password.

When you connected, you entered the WEP key number as your password right? This is located on a sticker on the side of the router. Make sure that you are entering it correctly. Also make sure that you are using 0's (zero's) not o's (oh's), 1's (ones) not i's (eyes) or l's (ells).

Now on my wep key, my sticker looks like it has an 8 but its actually a B. So you may want to use a computer that is already on the internet to log into the router and make sure that the key on the sticker is actually the one assigned to the router.

With a computer that is already connected (or hard wire this new computer temporarilly). Open your browser and go to 192.168.1.1  The login should be "admin" and "password" or "password1". Once logged in, click on "wireless networks" at the top and it will display a page with the SSID and WEP key that are currently on the router. Make sure those match what you are entering. If not, enter the ones listed here.

that should get you up and going.

VZ_KG
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its really easy with Verizon In-Home Agent. It automcatically connects to your FiOS router and sets up wifi on your PC. You can download it from http://verizon.com/inhomeagent and try it out.

0 Likes
luv2laff
Enthusiast - Level 1

Should that same thing work for me?  My Palm Pre picked up our Wifi here at the house just fine....switched to a Nexus S 4G and it tells me either it's out of range OR remembered with WEP security and then switches immediately to disabled, secured with WEP.  The symbol shows a "strong locked"...

@spacedebris wrote:

Limited access usually means you have the wrong password.

When you connected, you entered the WEP key number as your password right? This is located on a sticker on the side of the router. Make sure that you are entering it correctly. Also make sure that you are using 0's (zero's) not o's (oh's), 1's (ones) not i's (eyes) or l's (ells).

Now on my wep key, my sticker looks like it has an 8 but its actually a B. So you may want to use a computer that is already on the internet to log into the router and make sure that the key on the sticker is actually the one assigned to the router.

With a computer that is already connected (or hard wire this new computer temporarilly). Open your browser and go to 192.168.1.1  The login should be "admin" and "password" or "password1". Once logged in, click on "wireless networks" at the top and it will display a page with the SSID and WEP key that are currently on the router. Make sure those match what you are entering. If not, enter the ones listed here.

that should get you up and going.