Can you fix IP addresses for LAN devices?
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a few network devices - my printer, for example - that have embedded webserver, just like the Actiontec router. Whenever I reset the router, however, their IP addresses (192.168.1.xx) change, which is a pain. 

I know I can fix the IP address of a desktop computer, using Windows own control pane. Is there a way to fix the IP addresses of these network devices too?

0 Likes
Re: Can you fix IP addresses for LAN devices?
PJL
Master - Level 3

@NewDaddy wrote:

I have a few network devices - my printer, for example - that have embedded webserver, just like the Actiontec router. Whenever I reset the router, however, their IP addresses (192.168.1.xx) change, which is a pain. 

I know I can fix the IP address of a desktop computer, using Windows own control pane. Is there a way to fix the IP addresses of these network devices too?

You can set the device IP as static in the router.  It will then not change with a reboot of the router.

0 Likes
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@PJL wrote:

@NewDaddy wrote:

You can set the device IP as static in the router.  It will then not change with a reboot of the router.

Does it really work? It seems iffy.

There have been posts about this, but nothing says the static IP will survive a power outage or reset of the router:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Setting-up-a-static-LOCAL-ip-address/td-p/162488

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Connected-device-does-not-show-up-in-Actiontec-My-Network...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16728

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

Yes it works.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@NewDaddy wrote:

Does it really work? It seems iffy.

True static IP addresses are set at the device, not the router.

Setting a static LAN IP address in the router is more correctly called a "DHCP reservation".  Actiontec calls this a "static lease".  A DHCP reservation will survive a reboot or a power outage, but not a hard reset.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

True static IP addresses are set at the device, not the router.

Setting a static LAN IP address in the router is more correctly called a "DHCP reservation".  Actiontec calls this a "static lease".  A DHCP reservation will survive a reboot or a power outage, but not a hard reset.

Good explanation.

In addition, you have to be careful when setting a static IP address in a device.  The IP address should not be within the range of IP addresses used for DHCP by the router.  Otherwise, the router might assign the same IP address to a dynamic client and then all sorts of problems will occur.

Personally, I prefer the DHCP static assignment (reservation), as it allows me to manage the IP addresses for all devices on my network from the router.  If I need to change a static (reserved) IP address, I can easily do it from the router.  This is very helpful for devices with clunky user interfaces that make it difficult to manage settings from the device (like wireless printers).

In fact, I've configured a static (reserved) IP address for every device on my network.  With the Actiontecs, this allows me to give them a name and the name is remembered when the DHCP lease expires. Using the name helps me keep track of my kid's devices and easily implement filters if needed.  This approach also lets me easily see any devices that aren't part of my normal user base and deal with them if needed.  It's also great for managing servers.

Enjoy!

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have statically assigned my printers, cameras etc. starting at 192.168.1.50

This way it leaves 2-49 for DHCP addresses

Then leaves 100+ for the STB

You would normally need to check the printer documentation to see how to set the IP address.  For me I've never used the router to set it.

Jim

0 Likes
racecardriver16

Good explination here.. how do I set up my router to a static lease (IP tied to mac address) on my FiOS router?

Thanks!

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If it's a "DHCP reservation," as explained by Anti-Phish earlier, that you want to implement:

On the Actiontec's setup page, click on Advanced >  IP Address Distribution > Connection List.

The page of DHCP Connections will show all devices connected to your LAN, the devices' names, and their IP address.

In the Action column, click on the middle icon for a particular device and check "Static Lease Type."

That will keep that device's current IP address assigned to it going forward.

0 Likes