Clarification on adding Moca adapter
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

Just to make sure I am getting this straight, I wanted to see what the board had to say.  

So I want to add a speedy connection for my TV and also prepare to add a NAS to the network once HDD prices aren't sky high. 

If I buy the Actiontec Moca adapter, do I need to keep the Verizon issued router going for TV functions?   

My plan was to leave the VZ router in my office (assuming I have to), and just use it as a wired connection for my laptop.  My Fios doesn't go over 100mbps and I don't stream from this computer.  

Install a Moca adapter in the family room at the TV/DVR/PS3/Apple TV/AVR.  Connect the Moca to a good router with gigabit wired and dual channel wireless.  Connect the Apple TV and PS3 (at least) wired to the router.  Also from this router I will run a powerline to where I have the laptop with all the movies on it.  In theory this would allow me to stream from iTunes to the Apple TV at powerline speeds right?  

Ideally I would keep everything upstairs and swap the VZ router out for a Moca, and connect the new router there.  I could then attach storage or a NAS to the gigabit wired there.  Then install another Moca at the TV.  In theory I should then be able to stream from the NAS or attached storage with only the coax cable limiting speed?  Am I understanding this right?  

Basically I'd like to stream now (and in the future with the NAS) without being limited by the old VZ router hardware.  So if it need to stay, I'm looking for a way around it.  Could you split the signal in my office and run one to the VZ router and the other to the Moca?  Would you lose too much signal strength to make it worthwhile?

0 Likes
Re: Clarification on adding Moca adapter
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

You don't say if your WAN connection is coax or cat5.

You can't use the Actiontec ECB2200 between the ONT and a third-party router.

There are other MOCA bridges that can be used in that way.

How to use a MOCA WAN bridge

You can however use the ECB2200 to extend your LAN over coax into rooms that have only a coax connection.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

If you use your own router as the primary router and the ECB2200 as a MOCA LAN bridge, your STBs will still work, but you will lose Remote DVR and on-screen caller-id.

See this FAQ for the trade-offs of various configurations:

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

0 Likes
BurtReynolds
Contributor - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

You don't say if your WAN connection is coax or cat5.

You can't use the Actiontec ECB2200 between the ONT and a third-party router.

There are other MOCA bridges that can be used in that way.

How to use a MOCA WAN bridge

You can however use the ECB2200 to extend your LAN over coax into rooms that have only a coax connection.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax

If you use your own router as the primary router and the ECB2200 as a MOCA LAN bridge, your STBs will still work, but you will lose Remote DVR and on-screen caller-id.

See this FAQ for the trade-offs of various configurations:

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Maybe I described it poorly.  I've read those posts over the last couple days, I am trying to ensure I understood them correctly.  Currently the only access to Fios I have is through coax.   There are zero functional ethernet ports in my house.  I'm guessing that means my WAN is coax?

I was putting my plan together off my understanding from this diagram: 

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1580085~198ad66680a45b340f99b13e8215e84e/MOCALANBridge.jpg 

Currently I have the VZ issued Actiontec connected to a coax in my office.  Everything is running off wireless.

I would connect a new router to the Actiontec, for enhanced wireless but, then anything that goes through it is going to be limited by the 100 mpbs port of the Actiontec right?

Hence why I was going to try and isolate the Actiontec router, turn off its wifi radio, and leave it on to not interfere with TV features.

I was going to use a ECB2200 in the family room like this:

Coax - splitter > ECB2200 > Router like a E4200 or Asus Black Diamond> Broadcast wireless, send powerline for laptop

> 7216 DVR

So you are saying I would have to do this?  No need for the ECB2200 in this case.

Coax - splitter > Netgear/DLink Moca bridge > Router 

I guess I thought "LAN is LAN", and if I can go from the Actiontec router to a Netgear router, why not from the ECB2200?  

Can you use a plain old 5-port switch with the ECB2200? I suppose that would allow me to create my fast wired connection between the Apple TV and streaming computer/NAS, which is the goal here.  In that case it would only be limited by the powerline or the coax instead of the Actiontec router.  I was just hoping I could also put a 300 mbps router on there with a built-in gigabit switch and enhance my wired and wireless bypassing (and attach more storage to the router), but not removing the Verizon router.  

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

BurtReynolds wrote:

I'm guessing that means my WAN is coax? 

Unless you specifically run cat5 between the ONT and your router and had VZ swich the provisioning, then yes, your WAN is coax. 

BurtReynolds wrote:

I was putting my plan together off my understanding from this diagram: 

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1580085~198ad66680a45b340f99b13e8215e84e/MOCALANBridge.jpg 

I don't think that link is what you intended.

BurtReynolds wrote:

I would connect a new router to the Actiontec, for enhanced wireless but, then anything that goes through it is going to be limited by the 100 mpbs port of the Actiontec right? 

The new router really becomes a Wireless Access Point (WAP).

Yes, anything going through the Actiontec is limited to 100Mbps.

BurtReynolds wrote:

I was going to use a ECB2200 in the family room like this:

Coax - splitter > ECB2200 > E4200/Asus>Broadcast wireless, send powerline for laptop

> 7216 DVR 

That's fine.  That will work, although I'd suggest another ECB2200 rather than a pair of powerline adapters for the laptop.

BurtReynolds wrote:

So you are saying I would have to do this?  No need for the ECB2200 in this case.

Coax - splitter > Netgear/DLink Moca WAN bridge > Router 

I didn't say you had to do that, I meant you could.  That configuration eliminates the MI424-WR, although you would need a second MOCA LAN bridge for the STBs.

BurtReynolds wrote:
I guess I thought "LAN is LAN", and if I can go from the Actiontec router to a Netgear router, why not from the ECB2200?   

There are two "flavors" of MOCA.  MOCA WAN and MOCA LAN.  It wasn't clear from your first post if you were trying to use your router as the primary router.  Since your router has only a cat5 WAN port, you would need either a cat5 connection to the ONT or a MOCA WAN bridge between the ONT and your router.

BurtReynolds wrote:

Can you use a plain old 5-port switch with the ECB2200? I suppose that would allow me to create my fast wired connection between the Apple TV and streaming computer/NAS, which is the goal here.  In that case it would only be limited by the powerline or the coax instead of the Actiontec router.  

Yes, you can put a switch behind the ECB2200.

Don't expect more than 100Mbps over coax or powerline. 

0 Likes