Re: DNS issues in SoCal
shayne571

Is anyone at Verizon monitoring these posts?

0 Likes
navybuff1

I too, since monday have not been able to connect to 209.242.175.41  (San Diego Credit Union)

When trying to connect through a proxy it connects fine....  

Pinging sdccu.com [209.242.175.41] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 209.242.175.41:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\Ken>ping www.sdccu.org

Pinging sdccu.org [209.242.175.41] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

C:\Users\Ken>ping www.sdccu.net

Pinging sdccu.net [209.242.175.41] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

I am about ready to trash FIOS

0 Likes
shayne571

We have been in touch with technical support.

They have received calls from customers in SoCal complaining about this same problem and they are looking into it.

Internet might be intermittent for us for the next 12 hours or so as they investigate.

0 Likes
frnkblk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Based on my testing outside of the FiOS network, I don't think any of those three SDCCU sites respond to ICMP.  tcping on port 80 works fine.  So don't trash FiOS because your credit union blocks ICMP. 😃

0 Likes
homeispv
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is absolutely unacceptable.  Another site that is not able to be accessed is the Central Regional Multiple Listing Service.  After 3 hours on hold a technician from Fios finally came on, had me run a tracert and claimed this was not a Verizon problem

**bleep**

ONLY Verizon customers are affected of the THOUSANDS of Realtors trying to access the Multiple Listing Service from Ventura County through LA, Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange and San Diego Counties.  

How dare Verizon at this late date continue to deny this is NOT their problem ... 

I'm disgusted with Verizon and feel hostage to them due to my business "persona" is tied to verizon email address.  

0 Likes
JamesLaszko
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's not an issue with SDCCU nor their blocking of ICMP.  It is an infrastructure issue related to Verizon network equipment.  I have just received this information from the SVP of Technology at SDCCU:

Hi James,

I saw your post on Verizon’s forum regarding not being able to access certain sites.  Sorry for the random Email.

I’m the SVP of Technology at San Diego County Credit Union and we have a lot of customers like you who are unable to reach our Internet Banking site, only from Verizon FIOS and only from your area.

We believe that we found the problem by sniffing packets and placing Wireshark on the line.  It seems like Verizon change a piece of equipment last Sunday which drops packets larger that 1560 bytes in size.  These packets can be generated by various servers.  Standard MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) is 1500 bytes on Windows server, but if the site (like ours) uses EV SSL (Extended Validation SSL) certificate which turns your browser bar green for validation, ads a few more bytes to the header of the packet, making it larger than 1560 bytes.

So in English terms, their equipment was able to pass traffic for packets that were large and carried additional security info, but the new equipment is misconfigured and is dropping the transmission.

We tested this by using PING and reach a couple of destination hosts on Verizon FIOS.  When the number of packets got past 1560, it quit responding.

Can you please post this on the forum?  I have not been able to reply to any of the posts since I’m coming from Cox network and I believe I’m being blocked or dropped for replying or posting.

I really hope someone from Verizon sees this and corrects the issue.  We’ve been trying to reach them since Wednesday without much luck.

Regards,

Sean

We have seen issues connecting all over the place from FIOS users in the Riverside county area, since Monday 1/9/12.  Call into VZ tech support have been fruitless.  Getting network engineering to even see this issue has been worthless.  Someone from Verizon needs to get on here and start dealing with issues and there needs to be some level of professional interaction from higher ups at Verizon that would allow for remediation of issues like this.  We're not all just "residential users" that are complaining because our "Internet doesn't work"

Anyone who can do anything or affect anyone at VZ is encouraged to contact me directly and I'd be happy to put the different parties we've been coordinating with together.....

James

JamesLaszko
Enthusiast - Level 3

Shayne-

Do you have a trouble ticket / incident number / outage number you can reference for this "work being performed"?

We have 10 of our engineers and a couple hundred hours involved in this issue so far this week with Verizon and have not had anyone do anything short of rebooting ONT's and renewing DHCP leases.......

James

0 Likes
shayne571

My issues appear to have been resolved. I now can get to all sites I reported as unreachable in earlier posts.

I didn't get a ticket number because the people I spoke to were already aware of the issue.

If anyone is still having issues, keep calling until you get someone who knows about the issue. Point them to this thread. It took us about 1 hr to get through.

0 Likes
DavidCRMLS
Enthusiast - Level 2

We just had one of our Brokers in Long Beach that has been affected since Monday call us.  It looks like he used to work for Verizon and gave some inside support numbers that may help get this thing escalated.  Worth a shot to slam them with calls and refer them to this post, so they can see it is a wide spread area and only Verizon is having the issue. 

Verizon Ontario Switch 909-983-0000 (they will provide you with more internal Verizon phone numbers)

Verizon Long Beach Core Centralized Outage Group 800-367-5801

I have a call back to a Verizon FIOS Tech that is in escalation.  I will report back with what I find.

David

0 Likes
frnkblk
Enthusiast - Level 3

@JamesLaszko wrote:

It's not an issue with SDCCU nor their blocking of ICMP.   

@JamesLasko: Just to be clear, I wasn't indicating the issue was with SDCCU's blocking of ICMP. 😃  I was pointing out that that the inability to ping that site was normal for the SDCCU site and likely had nothing to do with navybuff's inability to access it.

0 Likes