Does upgrading router to one with wireless N improve my speed if I'm on 25/25?
mashumk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had the same Verizon Actiontec router Rev. C for 3 years. Does physcially wiring directly to my router increase speed? Would changing to a new router with Wireless N increase my speed? I'm only getting 15Mbps avg on speed test. I want to get at least 20 average. I've tried all the channel adjustments and router settings changings. I'm paying for 25Mbps and getting 15.

0 Likes
Re: Does upgrading router to one with wireless N improve my speed if I'm on 25/25?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A common place for Wireless G to max out is 15-22Mbps in most cases. A Wireless N router or a hardwired connection would certainly help if you are on 25Mbps/25Mbps. A Wireless G connection in most cases will max at 10Mbps/10Mbps if you run transfers in both directions. N and Wired will do a lot more, N will max at 50/50 on a 144Mbps link that is extremely clean, and an Ethernet connection should do 95Mbps/95Mbps in both directions on a Full Duplex 100Mbps Port.

0 Likes
Re: Does upgrading router to one with wireless N improve my speed if I'm on 25/25?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@mashumk wrote:

Does physcially wiring directly to my router increase speed?

Yes.  The wired ports on the rev. C are 100Mbps.

@mashumk wrote:

Would changing to a new router with Wireless N increase my speed?

Yes.  A wireless N router will support your full 25/25 speeds.

0 Likes
mashumk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much. Will an N "upgrader" like this work? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00134LUE2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

I have a TRENDnet 300 Mbps Wireless Easy-N-Upgrader and can tell you it works very well.

mashumk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would an 802.11n wireless upgrader be affective enough that I wouldn't need an ehternet cable hardwire? I ask because I don't want to string an ethernet cable across the house even though it would obviously get the best speed.

If I can get 20Mbps+ on wireless I'll be happy and cable free.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mashumk wrote:

Would an 802.11n wireless upgrader be affective enough that I wouldn't need an ehternet cable hardwire? I ask because I don't want to string an ethernet cable across the house even though it would obviously get the best speed.

If I can get 20Mbps+ on wireless I'll be happy and cable free.

It depends on the topology of your home and the gear on both ends. You'll obviously be running a cable to the Wireless Access Point you choose to use as Repeating just slows everything down, but there is a good change that N will maintain >20Mbps in most cases.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Smith6612 wrote:

Repeating just slows everything down, 

The Trendnet Easy-N Upgrader is a WAP, not a repeater.

I see no reason the OP shouldn't get his full 25/25 using it.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I understand it is. I mentioned that mainly because it probably could be set up as one. But even then, just information to toss out out there so we don't get any "Why does my Wireless N only do 10Mbps?" posts around here 🙂

0 Likes