FIOS Advanced Wi-Fi Router (W1424WR GigE for $99) REVIEWS
CJacksonLASD

Hello, I recently upgraded from 15/5 to 50/25, and like many others here on the forums, Verizon's horrible customer service neglected to warn us we need to upgrade our routers to access these speeds on WiFi.  Has anyone upgraded to this router sold by Verizon and have any first hand knowledge of its capabilities?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Advanced Wi-Fi Router (W1424WR GigE for $99) REVIEWS
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why would you bother?  

As you're only looking for wireless n capability you can buy a wireless access point only for less than a third of the price.

Personally I added a couple of even cheaper wifi routers around the house which gave extra wireless access points and ethernet jacks.  Most of the soho routers out there have equal or better features than the Verizon supplied equipment.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The rev. I is a 2.4Ghz single band router.  If you're experiencing congestion from nearby networks in the 2.4Ghz band, the rev. I won't help. As viafax999 said, there are better routers out there for less money.

CJacksonLASD

To add my own router (checking out amazon) do I just connect a Wireless N Broadband Router to the Verizon router via ethernet cable to finally get the 50/25 wifi signal (or at least over 25 down)?

0 Likes
vovka77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I read that you just connect your own router to the Verizon router and disable WiFi in the Verizon router. Only leave your own router Wifi enabled. However I am not doing that out of principle!Verizon charges you for the service and the equipment it provides so why should we be dealing with hardware failure?

0 Likes
vovka77
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you are asking whether you will get 50/25 signal when you connect your Wifi router, via wireless connection the answer is probably NO. Verizon only guarantees "wired" connection speed.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CJacksonLASD wrote:

To add my own router (checking out amazon) do I just connect a Wireless N Broadband Router to the Verizon router via ethernet cable to finally get the 50/25 wifi signal (or at least over 25 down)?

Yes.

However you need to configure the router before you connect it.  First logon to the new router and turn off the dhcp service.  Give it a static ip address on the 192.168.1.1 network.  Configure the wireless side with an ssid of your choice and set it up with wpa2 security with aes.  You do not need to turn off the wireless in the Verizon router just don't use the same ssid in your router so that you know which router your device is connecting to.  then connect a lan port from the verizon router to a lan port on your router.

steve_l1
I bought the router from Actiontec before it was directly offered by Verizon. Was straight forward to replace. Also get Gigabit wired speeds vs 10/100 of older router. Note that wireless speeds realized can vary based on signal strength, number of users,etc. Your device also needs to support the "n" speed and standard or you won't see the speed. When mixing multiple access points or routers you may end up with separate networks unless you know what you are doing when configuring. If so, devices on one network will not see those on others.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@steve_l wrote:
I bought the router from Actiontec before it was directly offered by Verizon. Was straight forward to replace. Also get Gigabit wired speeds vs 10/100 of older router. Note that wireless speeds realized can vary based on signal strength, number of users,etc. Your device also needs to support the "n" speed and standard or you won't see the speed. When mixing multiple access points or routers you may end up with separate networks unless you know what you are doing when configuring. If so, devices on one network will not see those on others.

Note I said to configure the new router with an ip addr on the 192.168.1 subnet and to connect it LAN to LAN.  That means it is on the same subnet.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

@viafax999 wrote:

You do not need to turn off the wireless in the Verizon router just don't use the same ssid in your router so that you know which router your device is connecting to.  

More important than changing the SSID (in theory your computer should pick the fastest network anyway) is changing the channels to be as far away from eachother as possible. Otherwise the two networks may interfere with each other. If one of the routers is set to auto, it may do this on its own. 

0 Likes