FIOS- changing computers
Vernon

I am changing my MAIN computer hardware from a 10yr old DELL DIMENSION to an APPLE IMac.

Do I need to do anything other than plug in the ethernet connection to the router?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS- changing computers
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

As far as an internet connection is concerned, no. just plug it in and go.

SkywalkerFx
Enthusiast - Level 1

Uh Dude, I have the same question and I think we all know you have to plug in the router to your computer with some Ethernet cable. The question is then what?

Apparently, hardware configuration of the router is done by opening an internet browser and typing 192.168.1.1 in the address field and then typing "admin" and "password1" as the user ID and password. However if you were lucky, as I was, and your wife was home when your Internet was installed, you probably have to reset your router to factory defaults which is done by jamming a paperclip into the reset hole on the back of your router. Then you should be able to a use the default login above.

As far as software install goes, it seems like the next thing you should do is download the "VZ In Home Agent" software which will troubleshoot the router and give you some info on it.

The router's default WEP wireless encryption code is printed on the bottom of the router which if you had changed it, you will need to change it again to whatever the code you had before resetting your router.

There are different routers used by Verizon and if you are having further trouble, search for the guide to your router on this site and you will find some troubleshooting guides. I will be changing out my old computer soon and if I have any specific advice I'll repost.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@SkywalkerFx wrote:

Uh Dude, I have the same question and I think we all know you have to plug in the router to your computer with some Ethernet cable. The question is then what?

Apparently, hardware configuration of the router is done by opening an internet browser and typing 192.168.1.1 in the address field and then typing "admin" and "password1" as the user ID and password. However if you were lucky, as I was, and your wife was home when your Internet was installed, you probably have to reset your router to factory defaults which is done by jamming a paperclip into the reset hole on the back of your router. Then you should be able to a use the default login above.

As far as software install goes, it seems like the next thing you should do is download the "VZ In Home Agent" software which will troubleshoot the router and give you some info on it.

The router's default WEP wireless encryption code is printed on the bottom of the router which if you had changed it, you will need to change it again to whatever the code you had before resetting your router.

There are different routers used by Verizon and if you are having further trouble, search for the guide to your router on this site and you will find some troubleshooting guides. I will be changing out my old computer soon and if I have any specific advice I'll repost.

Dude, if you're changing from a computer that is already connected to a new pc, you shouldn't have to change anything in the router. No configuration or software should be required to connect.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What Spacedebris is saying that after you establish a connection to the router you don't need to do anything else unless you wish to install the Verizon software.  The in-home agent is only required to help troubleshooting.  You can simply plug the new PC into the router or connect via wireless  and you are done, nothing else necessary or required to establish connectivity to the Internet or your local LAN.

pamcphilly
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually the reply was saying that no additional software needs to be installed on the new machine in order to use FIOS internet and that is correct.

If you are going to use a wired connection from the router you would just connect the new machine with the ethernet cable coming from the router's lan port.

If you are going to use the new machine wirelessly, then you would just need to setup the wireless settings on the new machine before connecting.

No reset on the router is needed for anything.  There is however some issues with some versions of Apple's OS X that cause some slow response with DNS lookups but that can be fixed at either the router level or from the new machine.  All that would need to be done at the router level is to have it push out the public IP addresses of the DNS servers instead of the router's lan address (you can use the verizon DNS ip addresses or some open ones like opendns).  From the machine side you could do it from the system preferences and change the dns servers from there.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yeah, my response was intended to say....  New computer, plug it into router. and you are done. Nothing else is needed (for internet access). Just open IE (or whatever browser you use) and surf to your hearts content. Nothing further is needed.

Now if you want to get into all the possiblilities...

You may need to transfer your favorites. 

Set up an email program

download and install optional Verizon software

install tool bars or other personal softwares

and the list goes on and on.

But none of these are needed for internet access.

For internet access. plug in and done.

0 Likes