Firewall Connections
philn11
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hi everyone,

I was setting up some static ips today and i was checking out the connections menu in the firewall. I noticed that there were still 145 connections still open from my laptop that i was on earlier today. Why would the router keep the connections open when the computer is no longer using that ip and not connected to the network? Also, is the router still blocking incoming transmissions from those open connections? How long do these connections stay opened for?

Thank you in advance for the help and insight.,

Phil
0 Likes
Re: Firewall Connections
prisaz
Legend

Which router, what firewall, what static IPs? WAN or LAN?

0 Likes
philn11
Enthusiast - Level 3
I apologize, I should have included that info. It's the westell 9100em and I am referring to the router's firewall. LAN ips....I was just reserving a static dhcp address for my iPod. But while I was logged in to the firewall, I was browsing around in the firewall menu. I clicked on the connections tab and that is when I noticed there were 145 connections still open. 99% of the connections were from my laptop's ip from when I was on earlier in the day. My laptop is reserved to 192.168.1.4.....this is how I knew it was from my laptop. Well the laptop is turned off and not connected to the network, yet the router is still keeping the connections opened. I deleted and closed all the connections while I was in the connections screen, but I am a bit concerned as to why the router will keep them open for so long after the computer is off and not connected. I want to know if while these connections are open, is ny network still being protected from these open connections? When you click on the advanced tab at the bottom of the screen it provides more info about the connections. The main thing is the "time to live" column. Some connections were timed to be open for days! That just isn't necessary. Is there a way to manage that time allowed? Thanks again for any help Phil
0 Likes
philn11
Enthusiast - Level 3
Anyone have any ideas?? 🙂

Phil
0 Likes