Free Antivirus recommendations
mrgooch
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am looking for a free Antivirus program to use with my Fios internet service. What are you using?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Free Antivirus recommendations
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Windows, you've got a lot of choices to go by. I tend to stick with the following list, with my more preferred programs listed at the top.

Avast! Free Edition

Panda Cloud AV

Microsoft Security Essentials

AVG Free

Avira

For Mac, Avast! is really the main one I'll recommend. For Linux, use ClamAV and don't run as root if you don't trust yourself 🙂

The most IMPORTANT part of computer security is to never sign on as an Administrator for usage. Create a Limited User account for you to use, and lock down the Administrator account with a password. Use that Administrator account for repairing the computer, updating the computer, and installing/removing the computer. It'll take some getting used to, but your computer will have a much better chance of being recoverable should you have a virus infection. All systems I build and set up for individuals are like this. Admin account is hidden except for in Safe Mode, and it is passworded.  It won't save against an "ooops" but it will save against plenty of drive-by downloads which tend to be the nasty ones.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You didn't say which operating system you're using.  That makes a difference.

I run Windows 7 on most of my machines.  I've found Microsoft's Security Essentials to be an easy to use, effective product.

If you Google (or Bing) "free anti virus," you'll get lots of helpful information.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
mrgooch
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also using Windows 7.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For Windows, you've got a lot of choices to go by. I tend to stick with the following list, with my more preferred programs listed at the top.

Avast! Free Edition

Panda Cloud AV

Microsoft Security Essentials

AVG Free

Avira

For Mac, Avast! is really the main one I'll recommend. For Linux, use ClamAV and don't run as root if you don't trust yourself 🙂

The most IMPORTANT part of computer security is to never sign on as an Administrator for usage. Create a Limited User account for you to use, and lock down the Administrator account with a password. Use that Administrator account for repairing the computer, updating the computer, and installing/removing the computer. It'll take some getting used to, but your computer will have a much better chance of being recoverable should you have a virus infection. All systems I build and set up for individuals are like this. Admin account is hidden except for in Safe Mode, and it is passworded.  It won't save against an "ooops" but it will save against plenty of drive-by downloads which tend to be the nasty ones.

0 Likes
pattuspl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Newegg.com has tons of deals on paid antiviruses I saw avg antivirus for 9.99 for up to 3 pcs. Just look there.

mrgooch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you all.

0 Likes