Frequent FAIL light on my FiOS ONT
steve02476
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got FiOS a month ago or so. I frequently get a blinking red FAIL light on my ONT, and when that happens I have no TV, no phone, and no internet. To"fix" it I have to disconnect my battery backup unit, power off the ONT, wait a few seconds, then reconnect the battery and power the ONT on again. About two minutes later, everything's fine.

Normally (?) this seems to happen once every few days, but it seems like when I use my washer and dryer, it happens like once an hour or more. The ONT is in my basement, fairly close to the washer and dryer.

So, I thought maybe the washer and dryer are causing voltage fluctuations for the house current - they have big electrical motors that turn on and off. So I put a line filter on the ONT - no improvement. Then, I just unplugged the house current from the ONT and let it run off the battery backup - but it still fails frequently when the washer and dryer are on. So, I think this means the house current is not the problem.

Could the ONT be getting some sort of RF interference? This seems really weird!

By the way, the ONT is the 612A model. Any suggestions? Thanks. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Frequent FAIL light on my FiOS ONT
steve02476
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just wanted to update - a week or so after I posted, I did in fact call for service. A Verizon guy came out, did some testing, and then ended up replacing the entire ONT box. It's been almost a couple months now, and ZERO outages.  Everything's been working perfectly since then. 

So, I'm pretty sure the cause of the dropouts was some sort of electrical interference, but nothing else has changed except the ONT. So evidently it was too vulnerable to interference.

Anyway, everything's ok now. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
steve02476
Enthusiast - Level 2

An update -  When the FAIL light comes on I definitely lose internet and phone service - but maybe the video still works (I don't watch tv much so I wouldn't notice I guess)

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Call for support. This should not happen and if it is a new install there could be hardware issues.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=3683

0 Likes
steve02476
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just wanted to update - a week or so after I posted, I did in fact call for service. A Verizon guy came out, did some testing, and then ended up replacing the entire ONT box. It's been almost a couple months now, and ZERO outages.  Everything's been working perfectly since then. 

So, I'm pretty sure the cause of the dropouts was some sort of electrical interference, but nothing else has changed except the ONT. So evidently it was too vulnerable to interference.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@steve02476 wrote:

Glad to hear all is better. I love my FIOS internet.

0 Likes