Re: Google redirect virus
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

To check what your current IP configuration is you will need to open a command prompt:

start

run

cmd

now type:  ipconfig /all |more

From this you can see what IP address you have, what your current DNS and default gateway is.  You should see the following:

IP 192.168.1.x

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS 192.168.1.1

shawpitt1

I see 2 DNS servers:

what does this mean?

0 Likes
FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

DNS means dynamic name service. It translate ip into domain names. For example 

10.1.2.3 is the google ip address(not really just an example) the DNS translates that number into google.com so that you can put it in your browser without knowing that convuluted number. Your dns is normal. Meaning that you probably has spyware.

Try znet.com and download advanced system care free. Run the program and see if you find spyware

GregG412
Enthusiast - Level 2

My experience with the re-direct virus is under another thread: Big Issues - RedirectOptions.  Search me as a user and then search for all my posts -- all of them (except this one) are on that thread.  Good luck.

0 Likes
shawpitt1

I have tried a lot of spyware programs and they can't find anything.  Not sure what I am doing wrong, but it is really frustrating.  There are numerous sites I can't access because of this problem.

0 Likes
FSC2
Contributor - Level 1

Ok now we are going to get serious!

IMPORTANT ! Open all of your browsers that you use!

open command prompt

Start-> run -> cmd (in xp)    in vista search bar type cmd results will be black window right click it run as administrator 

type netstat -b > spyware.txt 

Go to your c:/  drive. 

You should see a file called spyware.txt

Open it. Copy and paste it here. 

0 Likes
xmnj2
Contributor - Level 1

Just doing a quick google search of the DNS server 213.109.64.5, it seems this is server is an issue and has been reported with spyware.  I would try changing out the DNS servers within the router, either set it to be DHCP, or pick something else.

0 Likes
shawpitt1

@xmnj wrote:

Just doing a quick google search of the DNS server 213.109.64.5, it seems this is server is an issue and has been reported with spyware.  I would try changing out the DNS servers within the router, either set it to be DHCP, or pick something else.

How do I "change out the DNS server" within the router? I have an Actiontec M1424WR.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
xmnj2
Contributor - Level 1

Try using the instructions located here,

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/Troubleshooting/Network/QuestionsOne/99147.htm

Not sure if you ever setup a password for your router, if you did not, it will prompt you to create one.

chunjou
Enthusiast - Level 1

This worked!  Thanks