Help with bridging Actiontec to Cisco router...
lb29101

I am having some issues that no one from any of the companies I've called and help with.  Well, without having me use the "premium" techsupport option... UGH..

Ok.. I recently purchased a Cisco E4200 dual band router.  The Verizon/Actiontec router is only a "G" 2.4GhZ signal and I pay the most expensive/fastest speed Verizon offers in my area.  So I wanted to fully use the speed I pay for hence buying the Cisco router that covers dual bands including the fast 5GhZ "N" signal.  I have a Windows 7 64bit based PC hardwired via ethernet cable into the Actiontec router.  I have the Cisco E4200 router also ethernet wired into the Actiontec router.  For the sake of signal spread, the Cisco router is in a central room of my house and the Actiontec router is in an office space on one side of the house.  But again, they are ethernet wired together.  Now on the problem.... All my independent devices such as my iPad, Apple TV, iPhone, Andriod, etc all connect with no issues to the Cisco router.  However, my Epson Artisan 810 printer will not connect to the WiFi to allow me to print from laptops, iPad, etc.  Also, I wanted to use a sync software program called "Companion Link" that allows me to sync my Outlook to my Andriod via WiFi and that also will not connect.  Seems anything that wants to connect to my WiFi through my PC will not connect.  The Verizon/Actiontec router's WiFi is disabled and the only two things connected to it are my router and PC.  The Verizon/Actiontec router distributes IP addresses in the 198.161.1.*** range and the Cisco router distributes IP addresses in the 10.47.107.*** range.  I've found the IP address for my printer and tried to ping it through the Windows C Prompt window and I get a timed out error.  Note that when I was only running the Actiontec router solo, EVERYTHING worked with no issues including my printer and that software program.  So... I've isolated the issue to at least knowing anything trying to connect to my network via my PC is hosed up.  I called Verizon, Cisco and Espon support and ALL claim its the other company's problem.  Go figure... That said, one of them said I might be having a "bridge" issue.  No idea how to bridge my actiontec to my Cisco.  Can anyone help?? If i've missed some critical info, ask and I'll try to provide... Thanks to anyone that can lend a hand!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Help with bridging Actiontec to Cisco router...
Hubrisnxs
Legend
you can always bridge the actiontec, but if you have TV then it's not a terribly good idea to do.  FiOS is very data centric, and if you bridge the actiontec it can cause all kindsa issues.     If you wanted to pursue that route then you can take a look at this FAQ, and it also has bridging instructions as well.      3.0 Networking http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077   My recommendation is to simply put the cisco in the dmz of the actiontec, that way its not affected by the actiontecs firewall.
0 Likes
lb29101

What about using the cisco as an access point instead of a router... basically i just want to be able to use the printer capabilities via wifi and still have the speed for all my other devices... would configuring the e4200 as an AP be a better idea???

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't see the printer or devices on your Cisco from devices attached to the ActionTec directly because you are presently using the Cisco in NAT router mode.  It is essentially blocking all traffic "from" the ActionTec (on the public side of the Cisco) to the private side of the network on the Cisco.  You would be able to see devices on the ActionTec from devices on the Cisco but only for directed (non-broadcast) traffic.

What you really probably want to do is convert your Cisco to an AP mode of operation.

First, login to the ActionTec at 192.168.1.1, select My Network, then Network Connections, then Network (Home/Office), then Settings.  Change the DHCP start address to 192.168.1.50.  Leave the end address alone as long as it's some value significantly above 50 (it's probably 254) and click Apply.  Reboot (or release/renew if you know how to do that) any devices attached to the ActionTec so that they release and addresses in the old range below 50.

Now, login to the Cisco using the web interface and under Basic -> Settings, change the Internet Connection Type to "Bridge Mode" and apply the configuration. 

This will reboot the router, turn off it's DHCP services, and it will DHCP and address from the ActionTec on the 192.168.1.x network.  

Reboot any device you have connected to the Cisco or reconfigure it so that it's on the 192.168.1.x network.  If you have a device such as the printer that you want to have a static IP address, choose a valid on t he 192.168.1.x network between 2 and 49.  

You can login to the ActionTec and look at the My Network page to find the address the Cisco is using on the 192.168.1.x network if you want to login and further modify any of the configuration on the Cisco.

That should be all that's required to get you up and running.