I need Help with Port Forwarding for Verizon FiOS internet.......
DeadlySwordz
As the subject implies i need help. My FIOS package is 20Mbps/5Mbps. I have an Actiontec Mi424-WR Router. My internet recently started downloading things slow for some reason. So the only thing i thought it could be, is that i need to do some port forwarding. I dont know which port to forward when going into the router itself via 192.168.1.1. I recently started to play World of Warcraft and i need to download the patch for it. But the download rate is sooooo slow that its telln me its going to take like a week or so to complete. That shouldnt be like that at all. When i had DSL a few yrs ago i had to do the same thing for a different game and it worked. But with this FIOS router i have no idea how to do it. If anyone can help me out and get my interent going fast again by opening ports and or to port forward and which ones, ill highly appreciate it. Thanks
0 Likes
Re: I need Help with Port Forwarding for Verizon FiOS internet.......
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hi there are a couple of good guides, at portforward.com

• World of Warcraft
  • World of Warcraft Downloader
  • give them a shot and let us know.

0 Likes
    DeadlySwordz

thanks i will try the 2nd link later on. the first link didnt work, it gave me an error page

0 Likes
    bmwsandman
    Enthusiast - Level 3

I am trying to doing something similar but with remote desktop/RDP (port 3389)

i have the port forwarding setup and can see in the logs that the fios router is seeing/accepting in the incoming request on port 3389. however the connection is not made to the dest host.

the fios router is on subnet 192.168.1.0 and the host i am trying to forward to is on subnet 10.0.0.0. the fios router can ping the dest host ip.

any thoughts as to why the port forwarding is not working

0 Likes
    viafax999
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

@bmwsandman wrote:

I am trying to doing something similar but with remote desktop/RDP (port 3389)

i have the port forwarding setup and can see in the logs that the fios router is seeing/accepting in the incoming request on port 3389. however the connection is not made to the dest host.

the fios router is on subnet 192.168.1.0 and the host i am trying to forward to is on subnet 10.0.0.0. the fios router can ping the dest host ip.

any thoughts as to why the port forwarding is not working

That is not possible.

With the VZ router on subnet 192.168.1.x you can only port forward in that router to something on that subnet.

If the machine that you are trying to port forward to is on subnet 10.0.0.0 then it must be behind another router which is presumably connected to the 192.168.1.x subnet.  You need to set up the port forwarding on the VZ router to forward 3389 to the next router's 192.168.x address.  On the next router you need to set up port forwarding to forward 3389 to the remote desktop device or if there is still another router to that router and so on until you get to the RDP device.

I would recommend that you change the RDP listening port on the client for security purposes and also consider limiting the capabilities of the client.  There is a note at the microsoft support site on how to modify the listening port, a single key registry change, and how to set up the MSTSC command on the accessing machine, basically just adding :port# after the host id.

0 Likes
    bmwsandman
    Enthusiast - Level 3

well that makes sense. my problem now is that the router between the two subnets is a linksys wrt54g and i have it logically reversed (ie, the wan side is facing 10.0.0.0).

thanks for the tip on changing the rdp port. i usually limit rdp access from a given wan ip so rdp is not open to the world.

0 Likes
    viafax999
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

you need to make the dhcp side 10.0.0.0

I would make the 192.168.1.x side a static address as it will make your port forwarding far easier

0 Likes
    DeadlySwordz

ok i was trying to follow the 2 links posted on here to do the port forwarding. but i do not know how to obtain the Name Servers IP address. i went into cmd but in the tutorial it says if its the same ip address as the default gateway i have to get the actual DNS ip address. so i called verizon and they said they cant tell me that information for whatever reason....i went into the router settings and on status page i see an address but it does not say DNS it just says IP address....is this address suppose to be the DNS that i need? ....

0 Likes
    viafax999
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

@DeadlySwordz wrote:

ok i was trying to follow the 2 links posted on here to do the port forwarding. but i do not know how to obtain the Name Servers IP address. i went into cmd but in the tutorial it says if its the same ip address as the default gateway i have to get the actual DNS ip address. so i called verizon and they said they cant tell me that information for whatever reason....i went into the router settings and on status page i see an address but it does not say DNS it just says IP address....is this address suppose to be the DNS that i need? ....

Typically with a dhcp address your name server will be the default gateway address which if you are connected to a Verizon router and it's using defaults will be 192.168.1.1

Alternatively you can start a CMD prompt and type ipconfig /all and hit enter and you will get back something like this

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : d930
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : simbatech

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : simbatech
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connect
    ion
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-76-1F-3C-2B
            Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
            Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
            IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.105
            Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.1
            DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.1
            DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.243.0.12
            Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:00:26
    AM
            Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:00:26 A
    M

C:\Documents and Settings\Peter>

At the bottom you'll see the entry DNS servers. these are your name servers in preferential order - I know, mine don't show 192.168.1.1 This is because my machine is behind a secondary router and I chose not to use the default gateway as a name server but instead used several different vendor external name servers.

You should use the first one in your list which I expect is 192.168.1.1

0 Likes
    Arthurlw
    Contributor - Level 1

Speaking as one who is on his third Actiontec, is it possible yours is going bad?  Slow downloads have always meant (for me, anyway) a pooped out router.  You can call tech support and they will analyze your router's speeds, or you can go to the Verizon test site and check your speeds yourself:

http://speedtest.verizon.net/SpeedTester/help_speedtest.jsp

My only direct experience with port forwarding was when I wanted to set up an FTP server on my 'puter.  I'll post what they told me here just for general information to any and all concerned:

Firewall Settings ->

Add->

Specify Address menu (Find your computer in the drop-down menu)

Protocol: FTP

All remaining: Default settings

0 Likes