Internet keeps droping
raylock11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have spent hours on the phone with tech support trying to solve this problem but nobody seems to have a solution. The internet signal drops frequently.  It has become almost impossible to watch anything from Netflicks or You Tube (or other streaming sites).  The signal drops and has to be restarted several times an hour. All of our devices for watching these programs are hard wired.  A ping (ping -t) of google shows intermitent periods of site not available.  The Windows trouble shooter shows, during times the internet is down,  that there is a "broken wire" between the router and the Internet.  The problem began in October after we increased the internet speed from 50/50 to 100/100 and the tech ran a cat5 from the ONT to the Actiontec router. I later ran a temporary  cat5 cable to replace the one installed by Verizon's tech, but that did not make a difference. l have replaced the router twice but that did not solve the problem and another router is in transit as a result of today's conversation with TS.  I have not rebooted the ONT.  Maybe that should be the next step, but I understand that will erase all of the logs.  Has anyone had or solved this problem?  We are in Northern NJ.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet keeps droping
raylock11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Service technician replaced the ONT.  That seems to have solved (or at least reduced) the problem. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Rebooting the ONT would have been the first thing I would have tried.  The logs are transient anyway so have little long term value.

0 Likes
raylock11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Rebooted the ONT.   Disconnected the battery and unplugged the unit for 20 minutes.  Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem.

0 Likes
raylock11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Service technician replaced the ONT.  That seems to have solved (or at least reduced) the problem. 

0 Likes
jbl2014

This doesn't resolved the issue since the issue comes back a few days after.   

0 Likes