Is it possible to use MI424WR Actiontec Wireless Router with other providers
theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Remember reading that the router could be used with other providers as router ( not a cable mode). Has anyone done this? I know  what I read mentioned that a terminator has to be use on the coax connection but don't recall the rest.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is it possible to use MI424WR Actiontec Wireless Router with other providers
theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Found the info :

I am using a Rev. C Actiontec on Cox HSI; I am not using the wireless function, but I am sure it would work. Also, I am sure that other revisions would be set up in a similar manner (but I have only worked with the Rev. C).

Here is what I did:

1) Disable the Coax WAN.

2) Disable the Coax LAN.

3) Disable PPPOE.

4) I disabled the Wireless; in your case, you would keep this turned on, and set the security options for your situation.

5) Verizon has a port open on these routers for administration: »www.compu-help.us/205.htm . Best to create a rule to block this port.

6) Set the security level and forwarded ports for your situation.

7) Leave the router's coax port unconnected. I put a 75-ohm terminator (available cheaply at Radio Shack and other places) on the connector.

😎 Hook your Comcast cable modem to the Actiontec's Ethernet WAN port.

9) Connect any wired networking devices you have to the Actiontec's Ethernet LAN ports.

Note that for a consumer-grade router, these units have an amazing number of configuration options. Fortunately, many of them are not needed for most situations.

Also note that the router will no longer receive automatic firmware updates through the Verizon system. Thus, you will need to go to the Verizon support pages from time to time to see if new firmware is out for your revision. You will then need to manually download it and install it on the router.

View solution in original post

Re: Is it possible to use MI424WR Actiontec Wireless Router with other providers
theinfluencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Found the info :

I am using a Rev. C Actiontec on Cox HSI; I am not using the wireless function, but I am sure it would work. Also, I am sure that other revisions would be set up in a similar manner (but I have only worked with the Rev. C).

Here is what I did:

1) Disable the Coax WAN.

2) Disable the Coax LAN.

3) Disable PPPOE.

4) I disabled the Wireless; in your case, you would keep this turned on, and set the security options for your situation.

5) Verizon has a port open on these routers for administration: »www.compu-help.us/205.htm . Best to create a rule to block this port.

6) Set the security level and forwarded ports for your situation.

7) Leave the router's coax port unconnected. I put a 75-ohm terminator (available cheaply at Radio Shack and other places) on the connector.

😎 Hook your Comcast cable modem to the Actiontec's Ethernet WAN port.

9) Connect any wired networking devices you have to the Actiontec's Ethernet LAN ports.

Note that for a consumer-grade router, these units have an amazing number of configuration options. Fortunately, many of them are not needed for most situations.

Also note that the router will no longer receive automatic firmware updates through the Verizon system. Thus, you will need to go to the Verizon support pages from time to time to see if new firmware is out for your revision. You will then need to manually download it and install it on the router.

prisaz
Legend

Remember if it is a Verizon labeled router, it is their property. As previously posted the Verizon FiOS hardware is not sold. If it is not returned to them, the customer will need to pay for it, but I think just like STBs, it still remains Verizon property. Regardless of how it was obtained. It contains proprietary Verizon FiOS firmware and I do not believe they are sold outright.

Perhaps someone from Verizon can clarify this issue. I do see this model router offered for sale on many sites, but I do not believe they are Verizon labeled products.

UPDATE. Sorry I was just told the routers become customers property after 1 year. But I did not know that. I had hear the FiOS hardware was not sold, but perhaps the routers are not included. They should work as outlined in the previous post. And yes I would block the CPE Manager backdoor open port.

Andyb119
Enthusiast - Level 2

They charged me 199 dollars for this router.  That contemplates ownership in my book.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@theinfluencer wrote:

Remember reading that the router could be used with other providers as router ( not a cable mode). Has anyone done this? I know  what I read mentioned that a terminator has to be use on the coax connection but don't recall the rest.

Sure it's just a router, albeit with Verizon firmware. 

SORRY, should have read the OP date.  

Didn't realize it was somebody replying to a LONG DEAD thread that should have been locked years ago

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes