Itunes Sharing not working over wireless
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have three PC's both running the latest version of ITunes.

Desktop 1 is running Windows XP and connects directly into the Action Tec Router via a wired connection.

Laptop 1 is running Windows 7 and connects to the Action Tec router via a wireless connection.

Laptop 2 is running Windows Vista and connects to the Action Tec router via a wireless connection.

All PC's can connect on the Internet.  The wireless connection uses WPA/PSK.  Any firewalls are disabled.

Desktop 1 can see the Library of both Laptop 1 and Laptop 2.  From Desktop 1, When I click the library of laptop 1 Itunes says "laptop1 library is not responding".

Laptop 1 and Laptop 2 do not see the library of either Desktop 1 or the other Laptop.

If I move Laptop 1 from a wireless connection to a wired connection, the sharing works fine.

Anyone know why the wireless is causing Itunes sharing to not work?

Thanks, Jim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Itunes Sharing not working over wireless
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

So this morning I was playing the Windows 7 laptop and decided to delete my windows wireless profile on the laptop called home and my existing home SSID on the Verizon router.  I created a new SSID called boo with no security.  I connected to that SSID and Itunes sharing worked between the desktop and laptop.  I then added WPA2/PSK to the boo SSID and sharing still worked.  Finally I went back to my original SSID called home and WPA2/PSK, recreated the home profile and Itunes sharing worked again.

I then went to the Windows Vista Laptop and without making any changes to it, Itunes sharing worked.

So in the end it seems deleting the current SSID configuration and rebuilding it on the verizon router cured the problem (for now).

Jim

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When you have the laptops connected by wireless, with all of the computers go to http://whatismyip.com/

#2 All of the computers should be coming from the same Public IP (what ever the IP Address at that site is ).

#3 If not, the laptops connected to the wrong wireless network. We can deal fix this, as need be - if that is the case.

#4 If all them are coming from the same public IP, check if all of the computers have the same Default Gateway OR not.

#5 If not, please post. We will figure out, what is going on..

--

For Windows XP checking the default gateway.

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

--

For Windows Vista (and maybe Windows 7) see http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/windows/ipconfig/vista.php

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

#1 When you have the laptops connected by wireless, with all of the computers go to http://whatismyip.com/

#2 All of the computers should be coming from the same Public IP (what ever the IP Address at that site is ).

#3 If not, the laptops connected to the wrong wireless network. We can deal fix this, as need be - if that is the case.

#4 If all them are coming from the same public IP, check if all of the computers have the same Default Gateway OR not.

#5 If not, please post. We will figure out, what is going on..

All devices are on the same subnet and all connect to the same public IP.

--

For Windows XP checking the default gateway.

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

All devices have the same default gateway, whether its the windows xp, 7 or vista machine.  My VZ has been reconfigured to use WPA2-PSK with a unique name.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 In the router go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution.

#2 What is the DHCP Range?

#3 In the router go to Wireless Setup. Then in there, I believe Advanced Wireless Setup.

#4 Is there anything about AP Isolation?

#5 As need be..

a) In Wireles Setup -> Advance Wireles Setup, take a screen shot of what you see(

b) See as need be http://take-a-screenshot.org

c) Re-edit the screen so that you do not show the SSID, MAC Address(es), and the WPA key.

d) Post the image, for example using http://tinypic.com/

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

2 What is the DHCP Range?  192.168.1.2-254

Not sure what you want from the other items, wireless is set up except I'm using WPA2/PSK and not WEP.

Dont see anything about MAC address on the screen you mentioned.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dslr595148 wrote:

Ok.

d) Post the image, for example using http://tinypic.com/

Using the Attachments entry at the bottom of the reply is far easier than messing around with a third party picture store.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Today I took my desktop and laptop and connected them to a linksys router and the sharing worked.  When I moved the connections back to the actiontec router the itunes sharing stopped working.  If I move the laptop to a wired connection into the actiontec sharing works fine.  There is something about the Actiontec wireless preventing the itunes sharing.  The actiontec router is using WPA2-PSK.  No other configuration changes.

Anyone have any input or thought?

Thanks

Jim

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Today I took my desktop and laptop and connected them to a linksys router and the sharing worked.  When I moved the connections back to the actiontec router the itunes sharing stopped working.  If I move the laptop to a wired connection into the actiontec sharing works fine.  There is something about the Actiontec wireless preventing the itunes sharing.  The actiontec router is using WPA2-PSK.  No other configuration changes.

Anyone have any input or thought?

Thanks

Jim

While I do not know what the model of that Linksys is, I have an idea for testing reasons.

#1 In the Linksys go to Wireless -> Advanced Wireless Settings.

#2 Enable AP Isolation, and press Save changes.

#3 Please confirm or deny that iTunes does not work with AP Isolation turned on.

^^

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The linksys is an old wrt54g and when I enable AP isolation Itunes shares does indeed work.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

So this morning I was playing the Windows 7 laptop and decided to delete my windows wireless profile on the laptop called home and my existing home SSID on the Verizon router.  I created a new SSID called boo with no security.  I connected to that SSID and Itunes sharing worked between the desktop and laptop.  I then added WPA2/PSK to the boo SSID and sharing still worked.  Finally I went back to my original SSID called home and WPA2/PSK, recreated the home profile and Itunes sharing worked again.

I then went to the Windows Vista Laptop and without making any changes to it, Itunes sharing worked.

So in the end it seems deleting the current SSID configuration and rebuilding it on the verizon router cured the problem (for now).

Jim