Laptops kill my connection/stuck acquiring ip address
DanS19

When anyone uses a laptop with my FIOS connection, my wireless desktop running Windows Vista loses the internet connection.  It gets stuck trying to reconnect, and it keeps showing 'acquiring ip address'.  Calls to Verizon support haven't helped.  I tried a new router and changing the router channel, and I will be trying a new network card, but so far no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Laptops kill my connection/stuck acquiring ip address
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Any chance any of these devices (router, PC, laptops) is set to "b only" or "g only" wireless mode?     It's best to have everything set to "b/g" mode or make absolutely sure everything is set to "g only" mode or you can run into performance issues.   This shouldn't prevent a connection, but worth a shot.

DanS19

Router is b/g - don't know how to check pcs

0 Likes
DanS19

Home pcs use Verizon network card  Zyxel G-220 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Check the network properties of the wireless card, and be sure it is set to obtain address automatically. It looks like it may have a static address that is being issued out by DHCP in the router when another connection comes online.

0 Likes
DanS19

ip address is not static - problem also affects 2 other desktops - also verified that laptop was using address 1.3 while desktops were 1.4, 1.5 and 1.8.   I also tried a static ip of 1.9 and could not connect. 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some network cards let you select between "adhoc" and "infrastructure" mode.   Make sure everyone is in "infrastructure" mode.