Moving my computer/router from one room to another
Danny123

Hey,

Before I start, I'd like to just say that I possess very little knowledge as to how any of this (routers, cables, etc) works! Smiley Surprised

Here's a little background info:

Originally, my computer was in my room and everything was fine. Then, one day I moved it to another room in my house. but when I did that a tech had to come over and fix everything so that I could get internet in that other room. But now, I've moved my computer back to my room, but the internet doesn't seem to be working in my room anymore.

Okay, so I tried moving my computer from one room to the other along with the router that came with fios (the black actiontec router). When I moved it to my room and plugged in all the cables and whatnot, the internet wouldn't work. PRIOR to moving my computer/router everything was fine and is NOW fine after moving my router back to where it was before (so I could use my laptop/get some sort of internet access in order to try to find a solution to this problem).

Now, the only difference in the two setups I could really notice was that in the room that I am trying to move everything to (my room), there is this little white box with ONE internet jack in it as opposed to a white box in the other room with TWO internet jacks in it. I don't really know how this affects anything but I think that may potentially be the source of my problem?

As for coax cables and such, there is one white coax in BOTH rooms, but I think (I actually have no idea) that the coax cables don't supply the internet "signal" so to say because right now I am using the internet in the second room without the coax cable hooked up to the router (I just have two ethernet cables running from the router to the white box on the wall).

I think that the "signal" in my room is "inactive" or disconnected from wherever the internet comes from (I really don't know...) Is there anything I could do to get my computer back up and running in my room?

I'm sorry this is quite a lengthy post and very complicated/disorganized but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Danny

0 Likes
Re: Moving my computer/router from one room to another
MisterJefferson
Enthusiast - Level 3

A mystery!  Usually, it's easiest to have FiOS patched into your home's cable TV wiring, so I'm curious why you don't have a coax router that provides you with the ethernet (internet) jacks.  Some questions:

Do you watch TV from some other source (like satellite or cable TV) but are using FiOS only for Internet?

You said 2 cables are going from your router to a box in the wall.  What are the 2 ports labeled on the router? 

Is there any labeling on the jacks on the wall box?  On the other box in your room?

Do you know where the Internet jacks connect to? Like a patch panel or box somewhere in your garage or near where your FiOS/cable tv/phone service is?  Somewhere these cables have to terminate.

0 Likes
Danny123

Mr. Jefferson, Thanks for the quick response!

A mystery!  Usually, it's easiest to have FiOS patched into your home's cable TV wiring, so I'm curious why you don't have a coax router that provides you with the ethernet (internet) jacks.  Some questions:

Do you watch TV from some other source (like satellite or cable TV) but are using FiOS only for Internet?

I have both fios tv and internet

You said 2 cables are going from your router to a box in the wall.  What are the 2 ports labeled on the router?

One of them is just the main "internet" port I guess you could say while the other is just one of the ports labeled 1-4 (plugged into #2 I believe)

Is there any labeling on the jacks on the wall box?  On the other box in your room?

On the wall box in this room theres labeling on the jacks on the wall box that says IN and OUT (in marker), while in my room there's the same box but with only ONE, unlabeled jack (I think there's supposed to be another jack but it seems to be closed/sealed off)

Do you know where the Internet jacks connect to? Like a patch panel or box somewhere in your garage or near where your FiOS/cable tv/phone service is?  Somewhere these cables have to terminate.

I believe they somehow connect to this box in my garage (did some research and I believe it's called the ONT? and there's another box below it which I believe is the battery)

Hope this info helps!

0 Likes
MisterJefferson
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you check the ONT in the garage, there should be a coax connection that presumably runs to your tv's in the house, but it sounds like there's also an "Ethernet" jack that has an ethernet (internet) cable plugged in.  More than likely, this Ethernet cable runs into your house to that box with 2 jacks in the other room. Or... look for a second unconnected ethernet cable with a plug near your ONT or near the existing cable -- this could be a line that runs to your room but is currently disconnected.

Question:  Ethernet jack used at the ONT? Or coax only?

Question:  Is there another ethernet cable nearby your ONT that's disconnected?

J

0 Likes
Danny123
MisterJefferson, Question: Ethernet jack used at the ONT? Or coax only? Sorry this is probably a dumb question but how would I go about checking? Would I have to open up the ONT? Question: Is there another ethernet cable nearby your ONT that's disconnected? Well, I do see a bunch of cables running into the ONT but I dont see any lying around disconnected or anything
0 Likes
MisterJefferson
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I wouldn't recommend popping off any secured covers to check.  My ONT has an area where phone/cable is connected so you can see the connectors. 

The key is to figure out what's going on with the ethernet jacks and how (and where) the cable is going. In general, the signal has to come from the ONT to the router, then out of the router to the computer.  The jacks and how they're wired to the ONT... there's not much I can speak to, as that's going to be specific to your situation.

Possible scenario:  internet comes into the other room from the ONT into the "out" jack, which goes IN to the router.  Then the signal goes OUT of the router through port 2, to the "in" jack on the box, and that box MIGHT be connected to that empty jack in your room.  If this is correct, then you should be able to plug your computer into your room and leave the router in the other room.

J

0 Likes