MultiDwelling Unit (MDU) FiOS VDSL Coax on ActionTec MI242WR Need for Low Pass Filter
pd00
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've read the threads below and believe I need a low pass filter (860mhz low pass filter?). Without the coax connected, the Internet is fine, but I get Video on Demand issues. I spoke with Verizon about the issue and the representative didn't understand. He said there is only MAC filtering. With the coax connected and viewing "My Network" on the ActionTec, I see multiple unknown computers and STBs. The representative told me that isn't possible because they were not on my Ethernet (wireless off). They are clearly there and the connection is from the coax, not ethernet or wireless.

How can I get a filter? How can I find a representative that understands this issue?

Frustrations with high-rise MDU in NYC

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Frustrations-with-high-rise-MDU-in-NYC/td-p/288455

Frustrating lag bursts

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Frustrating-lag-bursts/td-p/286655

starting up...one moment please

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/starting-up-one-moment-please/td-p/386473

Trouble logging into my Verizon router

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Trouble-logging-into-my-Verizon-router/m-p/233345/highlig...

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MultiDwelling Unit (MDU) FiOS VDSL Coax on ActionTec MI242WR Need for Low Pass Filter
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure how else to tell you to proceed.   You need to get Vz to do a truck roll with a knowledgeable tech that you can demonstrate the problem to.   Perhaps you can just disconnect the coax from your router for the time being.   This will at least keep your neighbors off your connection.   Once you do that, reboot the STB's and they may pair up with whatever other router is out there ... the problem will be if there are more than 6 STB's on the line -- you'll run out of MoCA nodes and some STB's won't be able to find an address.  

One thing you could maybe try would be to disconnect all of your STB's and computers from the router except for one hardwired computer.   Reset the router (to clear the configuration back to the factory defaults and drop all learned devices) and then login to the router and turn off wireless as well.   Now figure out what all devices you can still (other people's STB's and computers) and using the diagnostic menu on the router ping each one of them to get them to populate the table.   Now, call Verizon and ask them to access your router and explain to you all the devices on "your" network.  Be sure to point out that you have all STB's disconnected and all your computers except for one disconnected and the wireless turned off.

Hopefully they'll scratch their head and escalate to someone who might actually understand the problem.   Tell them that you live in an high rise multi-tenant setup and you believe the tech may have wired your apartment up improperly since you should never be able to see your neighbor's computers on the "private" part of the network nor they yours.   That's a security issue.   Once you have the tech onsite, you can suggest to him that the units are missing low-pass filters or the filters are perhaps not installed in the right place -- and hopefully the tech will either know exactly what to do or will know who they can call to get the proper information.

Another possibility might be to report it that you might suspect a case of "theft of services" since you can see all these devices on your network with all your stuff turned off and unplugged.  So someone is obviously stealing service from Verizon and you don't want to be accused of permitting something which obviously you don't want happening.   We all know that's not the case, but it might be enough to get them curious enough to send out a tech to investigate.   

Basically ... you need to get them to do a truck roll, even if they tell you it will cost you money.   Once you have the tech onsite and can explain the problem and they see that it's a Verizon issue, you shouldn't be liable for any charges to fix what is obviously a Verizon problem.  

View solution in original post

Re: MultiDwelling Unit (MDU) FiOS VDSL Coax on ActionTec MI242WR Need for Low Pass Filter
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you have it diagnosed correctly ... you should not be seeing other STB's and computers on the Coax side of things.  This haappens in an MDU setting when a low-pass filter is not installed on the coax of each unit's feed to filter off the MoCA signals to prevent each unit from seeing one another.   Sounds like they might have a low-pass filter installed, but they have it in the wrong spot -- not at a location where each unit's wiring is not on a common split.

Since you describe a typical MDU setting, I take it that you don't have access to a single point where the Coax enters your unit before it is split to the various rooms.   If you do, you could solve the problem yourself by installing a low-pass filter at that entry location -- this would prevent others MoCA singles from entering your unit and your MoCA network from leaving (thus seeing only your router).

Normally however, in such situations, the common point is in a wiring closet or central location (where the VDSL head end is located) and this is the point where each coax needs to have a low-pass filter installed.   This would have to be done by a tech. 

Not sure how to get you to the right person -- but perhaps the trick is to keep the problem description simple -- tell them you live in a multi-tenant building and your STB's are not functioning properly (guide, on-demand) and at the same time you also notice that you're seeing all your neighbors computers on your local network -- so your concerned there is an installation / security issue and you'd like a tech to come out and fix the installation.   

pd00
Enthusiast - Level 2
The connections all go to two ONT in a wiring closet. From what I understand, from the wiring closet to the apartments is coax and telephone wire.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon Cable boxes show up as items in your network list when connected via coax.  

The only people that can get you a low pass filter, is a verizon field technician.    I can't tell you how easy it will be for you to get a tech, but you can try chat support or the 1-800-VERIZON.   

0 Likes
pd00
Enthusiast - Level 2

So far no help from Verizon. Two talks over the telephone and a promise of a call back in two hours (days ago and they never called back). Their contact that monitors these forums doesn't seem to be able to understand either. I just found a voicemail from a representative. He plans to contact me in the future.

Lasagna, thanks for the help. I've noticed you and another user (not on this thread) are up to speed on this issue.

Hubrisnxs, you are correct. STBs do show up when coax is connected. If the FiOS was not setup properly in the complex, you also end up with additional devices--my current issue.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure how else to tell you to proceed.   You need to get Vz to do a truck roll with a knowledgeable tech that you can demonstrate the problem to.   Perhaps you can just disconnect the coax from your router for the time being.   This will at least keep your neighbors off your connection.   Once you do that, reboot the STB's and they may pair up with whatever other router is out there ... the problem will be if there are more than 6 STB's on the line -- you'll run out of MoCA nodes and some STB's won't be able to find an address.  

One thing you could maybe try would be to disconnect all of your STB's and computers from the router except for one hardwired computer.   Reset the router (to clear the configuration back to the factory defaults and drop all learned devices) and then login to the router and turn off wireless as well.   Now figure out what all devices you can still (other people's STB's and computers) and using the diagnostic menu on the router ping each one of them to get them to populate the table.   Now, call Verizon and ask them to access your router and explain to you all the devices on "your" network.  Be sure to point out that you have all STB's disconnected and all your computers except for one disconnected and the wireless turned off.

Hopefully they'll scratch their head and escalate to someone who might actually understand the problem.   Tell them that you live in an high rise multi-tenant setup and you believe the tech may have wired your apartment up improperly since you should never be able to see your neighbor's computers on the "private" part of the network nor they yours.   That's a security issue.   Once you have the tech onsite, you can suggest to him that the units are missing low-pass filters or the filters are perhaps not installed in the right place -- and hopefully the tech will either know exactly what to do or will know who they can call to get the proper information.

Another possibility might be to report it that you might suspect a case of "theft of services" since you can see all these devices on your network with all your stuff turned off and unplugged.  So someone is obviously stealing service from Verizon and you don't want to be accused of permitting something which obviously you don't want happening.   We all know that's not the case, but it might be enough to get them curious enough to send out a tech to investigate.   

Basically ... you need to get them to do a truck roll, even if they tell you it will cost you money.   Once you have the tech onsite and can explain the problem and they see that it's a Verizon issue, you shouldn't be liable for any charges to fix what is obviously a Verizon problem.  

pd00
Enthusiast - Level 2

Problem fixed today. As, lasagna said, Verizon needed to have a tech come out.The issue was no low pass filter.

While my calls TO tech support did little, the calls I received FROM tech support helped. Brian from Verizon in TX understood the issue. He setup a tech to come out. The tech, Mike, examined the coax and found that I did not have a low pass filter on my line. He fixed it.

The holdup was trying to get first line support at Verizon to understand the MDU and low pass filter issue (they never did). While the issue took time to resolve, once I was put in touch with Brian and Mike, the issue was quickly fixed.