My internet service is just so disappointing
Carriemar

I have just about given up...

After doing a renovation, and reinstalling my FIOS service just over a year ago I have been nothing but frustrated. Especially when I have to watch all the advertisements you have on TV talking about your outstanding internet speed. My spped matches the dial-up speed I had back in the 90's.

Basically, we have very spotty wireless, with it being non-existent on one side of our house. In particular, my desktop constantly goes down and the wirless has to be re-set. Download speed cannot be meaured when I spend most of time looking at either a spinning rainbow or blue wheel. My children use up data if by chance they use the interent in their playroom.

I have had your technicians here several times and they have provided no solution except for me having to purchase more expensive equipement- extra routers, boosters in order to try and get a better signal. When I called customer service the other day to find out what would happen to my bill if I just pulled out of my internet service-I was told I would be penalized $70 and would be paying more per month. Then I was offered yet another bundle of premium channels-exactly not what I was looking to do!

I am a customer who has TV, internet and ALL of my wireless devices with Verizon and I cannot believe they have tied my hands and will not offer a better solution.

0 Likes
Re: My internet service is just so disappointing
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Sorry you're having those frustrating problems, but as a fellow user, let me say that wifi specific issues can be generic to wifi itself and are usually not Verizon's problem.

For some possible suggestions from others here on the forum, please fill in a few details.

What speed Internet speed plan are you paying for?

What model router do you have, including the suffix after the dash?  (The model can be found on the sticker attached to the router.)

And (a biggy) have you tested your speeds at www.speedtest.net with a hardwired / Ethernet connection to your router? 

When troubleshooting Internet speed problems ain important first step is to pin down whether slow speeds are the same via wifi or a hard wired connection.   Steps that can be taken to correct slow speeds can be very different for the two types of connection to your router.

0 Likes
viafax
Contributor - Level 1

@Carriemar wrote:

I have just about given up...

After doing a renovation, and reinstalling my FIOS service just over a year ago I have been nothing but frustrated. Especially when I have to watch all the advertisements you have on TV talking about your outstanding internet speed. My spped matches the dial-up speed I had back in the 90's.

Did the renovation involve moving the router to some obscure location?  Like putting it in a cupboard in the basement for example.

Have you tried rlocating the router to somewhere more central in the house?  I can be located anywhere that there is a coasx connector that is part of your fios setup.

0 Likes
Carriemar

Thank you! I am paying for the fastest speed they provide and makes sens for a house. I have had them here to test my signal-and according to their technicians I should be able to operate a small corporation with the level of service I'm paying for.

It has mostly to do with placement of router. My only choice it to hire a service to re-work our whole entire system out of a closet and somewhere else. Too bad when Verizon was doing the re-install and they were here working with my electronic guys they didn't come up with that suggestion from the beginning.

I'm more frustrated that I cannot get out of paying Verizon for interent service. It would cost me more money

0 Likes
Carriemar

Thank you! The router was installed in a closet just off kitchen. And yes, that is part of the problem. Moving it would involve a lot of new wiring to be done, a very expensive solution

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Carriemar wrote:

Moving it would involve a lot of new wiring to be done..... 

Not necessarily.

Do you have TV service in a centrally located part of the house?  The router can be connected to the coax feeding any TV, anywhere in the house.

Moving it to such a new location would take a few steps that are not terribly technical in nature.

0 Likes
Carriemar

Well! It's certainly a place to start! Thank you for the thought

0 Likes