Need Help In Blocking Certain Sites For Home Use
lovefios

Hello,

Is there a way to block certain users from accessing certain sites without having to manually put in each website and choosing who to block.  I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter and any suggestions.   Basically trying to block minors from accessing xxx or nsfw type sites/images or content without hampering adults .  

Thank You. 

0 Likes
Re: Need Help In Blocking Certain Sites For Home Use
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

You need a parental control program. Something like NetNanny, Verizon Internet Security Suite, Cyber Patrol, etc.

check this link  http://www.consumersearch.com/parental-control-software

but be aware, you cant block some sites without hampering the adults at least a little. when you start limiting the access, it affects everyone.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-22-2009 09:52 AM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

One easy and free way is to change from the Verizon DNS servers to  OpenDNS. You can use the OpenDNS servers without opening an account, but to filter sites you would need to create an account, which is free, and then go in and select the general categories you want to filter out.

I have been using OpenDNS for about a year, very satisfied. And as I said, it is free (although they do offer fee services also).

If you want to take a look, here is a link to their home network area which discusses parental controls.

Keller, TX 76248

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I saw some pretty cool parental control stuff inside the router, where you can block websites, and even computer useage based on time of day.   would that help out here?

So for example in your browser if you go to 192.168.1.1   enter 'admin' for the user name and then enter 'password1' for the password, you will see your computers in the middle section, and you just click on the pc of interest and you will see all kindsa cool stuff you can do to block websites and stuff.

0 Likes
NielsBohr
Enthusiast - Level 3
That openDNS thing really looks like a really neat way to do this.  The way you could implement this is to leave Verizon's nameservers on the router but specify the openDNS servers as your DNS servers on each child's computer.  That way, your machine could still access the NSFW stuff 😉  Alternatively, you could do this entirely on the application side - i believe Internet Explorer has a content filter built in to it (go to Tools->Internet Options->Content to enable it)
0 Likes