Need help setting up MoCa for superior speed for upstair room in house
mominn8266

Hey guys i need some help. I just upgraded my plan to the 50/20 Fios and now i really want that speed upstairs to my gameroom. Before i had the 10/2 plan where wireless was sufficient (i could get 9mpbs download speed wirelessly everywhere i needed internet using the mi424wr)

But now this crappy (no offense :P) router is just not sufficient for the 50mbps download speed. Even if my laptop is RIGHT NEXT to the router, i only get max speed of 20 - 23mpbs download. Whereas if im connected via ethernet, i get the full 50+Mbps download speed. For some reason the upload speed is fine at over 20mpbs. (Anyone has any explanation for this? If other 2.4ghz devices were causing interferences, shouldnt the upload speed be affected also?) And Yes, i have changed the channel to 11 (every other wifi network is on 6)

I also have this hawking high gain antenna connected to the router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164156

In any case i feel that MoCa would be a much cheaper and more reliable approach to achieve better speeds compared to buying a wireless n dual band router & adapter

Currently i have the ONT connect to the WAN Router VIA Coax

I also have Dish network for Tv services with the STB upstairs (same room where i want the Ethernet from MoCa to connect to PC,PS3). Not sure if relevent, but the dish is set up so that my downstair tv has acces to Dish tv VIA the coax connected to the STB upstairs. So ONE STB provides TV upstairs AND TV downstairs with dish services via Coax.

From the various articles i have read, this is my understanding of what i should do but of course im a newbie so i need your suggestions. I should add splitter the coax coming out of the ONT and connect one split to the router and the other split to the wall? then upstairs add a splitter to the coax connection from the wall and split one for dish STB and split one for MoCa actiontec which will then be connect to the internet and i could run ethernet from MoCa actiontec to ps3 and PC.

Is that anywhere even close to a working solution or im just dreaming that it would this easy? lol

Thanks for all the help!

0 Likes
Re: Need help setting up MoCa for superior speed for upstair room in house
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Before you give up on WiFi, make sure your computer is connecting using 802.11n, not b/g.  This will enable link connections above 54mbps.  The router should already have 802.11n enabled in b/g/n mode.  If all your devices are n capable, you can switch it to "performance" mode (802.11n only) and that may help.

Make sure you check the link connection speed as well as actual data transfer speeds.  This is a great indicator of connection quality.  In Windows, you can see this in many places including the network status window.

You should also experiment with different WiFi channels in case other WiFi networks are close enough to your home to cause interference.  inSIDer is great, free, software for monitoring WiFi activity.

You should also check out this thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

As far as MoCA goes, you can't put a MoCA network on the same coax as a satellite TV feed (antenna to set-top-box). If you're using the channel 3/4 remote TV link that Dish provides for 2nd TVs, you can share that with MoCA.  MoCA does traverse both directions of a splitter, just make sure you use 1GHz rated spilters.

Good Luck

0 Likes
mominn8266
The actiontec router is b/g mode only and I've changed it from mixed to g only. I wish they had upgraded my router with the services but nope still have the crappy actiontec router.
If you read my post I've already changed the channel most appropriate for me.
I've also read that post about interferences but if im literally ONE feet away from the router, I should atleast get above 40 mbps download speed. Why is my upload speed above 20mbps but Download speed can't exceed 23mbps?

Is there a possible solution for moca to coexist with dish services? A special splitter to seperate both lines? Or is powerline my only option?
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mominn8266 wrote:
The actiontec router is b/g mode only and I've changed it from mixed to g only. I wish they had upgraded my router with the services but nope still have the crappy actiontec router.
If you read my post I've already changed the channel most appropriate for me.
I've also read that post about interferences but if im literally ONE feet away from the router, I should atleast get above 40 mbps download speed. Why is my upload speed above 20mbps but Download speed can't exceed 23mbps?

Is there a possible solution for moca to coexist with dish services? A special splitter to seperate both lines? Or is powerline my only option?

Keep in mind, with Wireless you're limited by the fact that it is also a Half Duplex connection by design (can only send OR receive on a radio, can't do both like you can on Full Duplex Wired connections) which reduces speeds, and also protocol overhead which increases as you add additional devices to an access point.and increase traffic in a broad scale. So, if you're getting 22-25Mbps on Wireless G, that's about all you're going to get from it. 54Mbps is a theoretical limit with the assumption you've cut down all overhead, have a full duplex connection and are not encountering noise.

I recall seeing something on DSLReports about using MoCa with a Satellite TV provider, and it involved a lot of filtering within the coaxial to work. Ideally, you're best using a dedicated line for Coaxial if you're going to use MoCa to cut down on the complexity and risks caused by using a satellite system's coax.

0 Likes